Windblown and Weary, but Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Ashburn
August 27th 2011
Published: June 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.0516, -77.4831

We piled into the van for one last time as a group, and by the time we finished dinner, we had less than an hour to return to the hotel, pack our bags, and get back to the airport for a 1:00am flight to Toronto. Once there, we had a three-hour wait, during which I anxiously watched the flight-status monitors and watched more and more flights being canceled. I was secretly convinced we'd be canceled at the last minute, and was very relieved when we actually boarded. The very turbulent landing was, however, easily forgotten once we retrieved our bags and were in house less than 30 minutes later, as the storm outside worsened.

David and Katie ended up with an extended weekend in Calgary, with the airline providing hotel and food, and we arranged a car rental for them right before we left. They used the time well and visited the zoo on Saturday and the Canadian badlands on Sunday.

Come Monday morning, the storm was past and Anna was off to her first day of 6th Grade and middle school, and David and the girls were on their way back to New Jersey, where they arrived safe and sound around dinner time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb