Union Grove and Dialville, Cherokee County, Texas USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Rusk
August 15th 2020
Published: October 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post

I was coming up from Southern Cherokee County, Texas and turned West on US Hwy 84 and turned North on FM Hwy 347 to the old downtown Dialville. What I noticed for the first time was the Masonic corner-stone. I drove West for six miles on FM Hwy 1910. At the junction of FM Hwy 2138 was the Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church & Cemetery.

The Union Grove area was settled just before the US Civil War. In 1887 they organized the Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church. In 1905 land was donated for the church and cemetery. The current church structure was built in 1924.

I turned South on FM 2138 to Maydelle, Texas where I made a stop at the Old Cherokee Trading Post. I talked with the historians at the trading post and got directions to the old long gone town of Java located on the Texas State Railroad. They also told me (for what its worth) that the Old Cherokee Trading Post was located in Java. When Java was abandoned they used logs for rollers and mules to power the one mile move of the trading post to Maydelle. That was an interesting story that may be true.

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb