Where Robert E. Lee made his decision...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Mason
January 26th 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Deck overlooking valley on back of Officers QuartersDeck overlooking valley on back of Officers QuartersDeck overlooking valley on back of Officers Quarters

This is the back deck overlooking the valley on the back of the section of the Officers quarters that Robert E Lee stayed in. Who know but it is on this spot that he made the fateful decision to fight for the South.
Jan 26 Wednesday. Mason, Texas
Left Brady this morning around 1130. Drove south towards Mason intending to give it a brief once over but stopped at a historic marker and found out that Ft Mason was here before the civil war and that Robert E. Lee was stationed here for a year before the civil war while he was still in the Union Army. It was at Fort Mason that Robert E Lee made his decision to give up his commission in the US army to take up one for the Confederacy. He left his post here to journey to Washington to give up his commission in the US army. There were more officers who later became generals assigned to this pre civil war post than any other location north or south. Eighteen of these men served on both sides during the Civil War. The Officers quarters at Ft Mason now is a reconstruction since most of the post was torn down to be used as building material in the town of Mason after it was abandoned in 1869.
The fort was built on top of a hill which made it an excellent observation point. These pictures really don't convey how good a view there is but I would say nothing much would move down there without being observed.
I had several excellent pictures I took in Mason and at Old Fort Mason but for some reason I haven't figured out yet they have become erased. So I have used what I had.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb