Lone Star (Ghost Town), Cherokee County, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Jacksonville
July 10th 2021
Published: July 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I wanted to do something fun so I decided to find some ghost towns in Northern Cherokee County, Texas. I drove Texas Hwy 204 into Cherokee County. There was a half mile where Texas Highways 235 & 2274 overlapped where I found the Historic Marker for Lone Star ghost town. Right by the marker was the Lone Star Ranch.

I circled around to Cherokee County Road 4601 and found Myrtle Springs Cemetery for the town of Lone Star. The Cemetery is about one mile (as the crow flies) from the Lone Star Historic Marker.

According to TexasEscapes.com, the settlement of Skin Tight was established in the 1830s. When the town got a post office in 1883, they changed the name to Lone Star. The town did well with cotton and tomatoes were their primary crops. They had three churches, three saloons, and two cotton gins. They also had a grist mill, where flowing water powered a large stone wheel that grinded grain into flour. In 1890 the Cherokee Masonic Lodge #680 was built, with a school on the second floor of the lodge. In 1893 a fire destroyed much of the town. In 1903 the railroad bypassed Lone Star and that town quickly declined. In 1916 Lone Star Post Office closed and the town was gone.

Now all that is left of Lone Star is its Myrtle Springs Cemetery and the historic marker.

Note: This is not the existing town of Lone Star, Texas, about an hours drive North of Longview.

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb