Guadalupe Mountains


Advertisement
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

ChollaChollaCholla

Yellow seed pod.

Guadalupe Mountains National Park

The National Park is located in Texas, but the mountains extend into New Mexico. The mountains are surrounded by the Chihuahuan Desert. The highest peak in Texas is the Guadalupe peak at 8,749 feet (2667m).

McKittrick Canyon
This canyon is located in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park and is considered by many to be the most beautiful spot in Texas in the fall. This hike begins in the desert but ends in a forest. We hiked as far as the Pratt cabin where we met a volunteer who was most informative. I pictured the Pratt family hiking the 2 miles through the canyon to get to the cabin. I was surprised to learn that the cabin was built during the 1930’s when labor was more affordable. The family used a Mercedes to drive to the cabin, as it had higher clearance.

At this time of year the deciduous trees are still leafless. We saw their fallen leaves scattered and piled as we got closer to the cabin. This area is supposed to be gorgeous in the fall, but we saw it in the spring when it was shaking off winter.

Website for

Century plantCentury plantCentury plant

These plants bloom in the summer, so this is what is left by spring. The plant dies once it blooms.
Guadalupe National Park: www.guadalupe.mountains.national-park.com.

Website for Pratt Cabin: www.nps.gov/gumo/historyculture/prattcabin.htm


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Pratt CabinPratt Cabin
Pratt Cabin

National Park volunteer sitting on porch, answering questions from George.


Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb