Dallas - Rodeo, boating, and JFK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dallas
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Perfectly relaxed from the day spent hiking and bathing, I ruin the whole relaxation by getting another Greyhound to Dallas. Nevertheless I make it there in the night, but realize that the Dallas Greyhound station is not THE place to be in the early hours. In fact, one might wonder why I would go to Dallas at all as, apart from being the place where JFK was assassinated in 1963, there is not a whole lot to do. The reason is that Steffi, who was an exchange student when I was in MI, happens to be there for the summer. Also, Sally's brother Pete says that I could stay at his place for a couple of days. So, friends and a place to stay is enough for me!

On the first day Pete invites me to join him and some friends on Lake Louisville. We head out on the boat and, after cruising around the lake for a while, find what we are looking for: a few dozen boats gather in a bay and tie the boats together in order to swim and drink for the rest of the day. Those Texans sure know how to party! There are even people playing beer-pong in the water! After a couple of hours some of the ladies are beginning to feel the need to strip off those cumbersome bikinitops and replacing them with tiny stars. Lonestar state - truly.

The next day is spent at the North Texas State Fair. Not quite as exciting as it may sound... at least not at the beginning, although the Alligator show is interesting. At sunset however, the rodeo starts. Quite impressive, although I don't want to imagine the chiropractor's bills... Also, Texas'Republican reputation can't be missed: During the rodeo one of the horses won't come out of the box and the commentator says "He won't come out, he voted for Obama and now he's embarrassed to show his face". The audience laughs.

The third day finally brings downtown Dallas and Steffi. After meeting with her for coffee I do a little downtown stroll to a park that is home to 41 bronze bulls and 3 bronze cowboys. They represent the cattle trail that used to go through Dallas and started off its importance in the trading industry.

After hitting some outdoor and country stores with Pete and trying on some of these cowboy outfits it is back to the bus station and off east to New Orleans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Ich schicke die Schuhe doch ueber den JordanIch schicke die Schuhe doch ueber den Jordan
Ich schicke die Schuhe doch ueber den Jordan

Bitte eine kleine Trauerminute einlegen


14th September 2009

Also dieses berühmte beer pong musst du mir dann erklären!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb