Visiting the Stringers


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Conroe
June 21st 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.3122, -95.4559

After breakfast in the hotel again, we checked out and left to drive around Cleburne a bit. Philip had looked up and found the addresses of two homes where Aunt Nora and Uncle Doc lived about a hundred years ago. We also had an address for his office.

The home on Willingham may have been there, but we were not sure. We found the house that should have been next door to it. Next to it was a fairly large open space that may have been enough room for a small house. Then next to that was another house which had the last digit of the address scratched out.

The home on Anglin was definitely gone. That address has a bank parking lot in its spot. The doctor's office would have been on or one block from the town square. However, the numbers of them were not clear. We saw his office building, but we just don't know which one it was. There are currently storefronts in some of the buildings, but many were vacant.

It didn't take long to drive around Cleburne, and we were soon on the road again headed for Conroe. Traffic was heavy from a long stretch of construction around Richland. But other than covering only about five miles in one hour right there, we made the rest of the trip without much delay.

After we checked in to yet another Hampton—this one in Conroe, we picked up brisket, ribs, sausage, and trimmings from Dickey's Barbeque. I will be happy to have barbeque every day we are in Texas this trip. It's a thirty-minute drive from Conroe to the Stringer home in Montgomery. We made it right on time to arrive at 4 o'clock. It's always great to spend time with Paula and Bill, and tonight was lots of fun, too. We had the barbeque dinner with birthday cake for dessert, then played along as we watched some reruns of Cash Cab. The time visiting flew by, and sooner than we expected, it was 10 o'clock and time to get back to the hotel.

We made plans to stop by their home again when we get back from Ireland even if just for a little while. Paula has some documents and photos that will help Philip in his genealogy research. We will pick them up then so they don't have to sit in our hot car while we are traveling.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb