Home Sweet Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
December 22nd 2011
Published: December 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This is it.This is it.This is it.

Saraland, AL. Woo.
Today is Thursday, Dec. 22 (Leslie's birthday) but I'll try to recall yesterday's events. It's all becoming a blur.

We left Saraland, Alabama and started on our way to the Lone Star State. Entered Mississippi with a shutter and left it with a big sigh of relief and to beautiful Louisiana. Texas wasn't too far away. It was a good ride and then we came upon Houston at rush hour along with the holiday exodus - the city of wall to wall traffic on I-10. In my entire life I've never seen traffic like this. I grew up in the New York City area. I lived in the Boston area - through the Big Dig. I've never - I say NEVER - saw traffic like they have in Houston. OMG, OMG, UNBELIEVEABLE - and it stretched on for MANY, MANY, miles. They have an off ramp on I-10 that takes you to Grand Parkway. It looks as though it goes up to the sky. Cars were lined up for miles to get on to this exit. It's a wonder the thing didn't collapse.

The picture Lindsay included in the blog a few days ago of the highways all rolled
Houston TrafficHouston TrafficHouston Traffic

Get out. Make a call. Pack a lunch.
up in a ball reminded me of this area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We finally got through Houston and it's outskirts - PHEW!!!! The ride was pretty uneventful the rest of the way. Then we came upon Rt. 71 West - which goes to Austin. Smooth sailing!! So now the traffic gets heavier. This area is very built up and developed since last we were here. Okay - on to the highways to take us to Leslie's and Michael's. BUT it started to rain - wouldn't you know?!?! Got a little lost trying to find the turns, pay attention to the traffic, etc. But Dad handled it beautifully and got back on the right road.

We arrived at Leslie's and Michael's safely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - where Les had a big pot of chicken stew waiting for us for dinner. What a treat. Then a glass of wine to top off the meal. It was wonderful.

We all sat around talking for a while and then went to bed.

To be continued.................

Take care, everyone.

XOXOXOXO


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

I-10I-10
I-10

These interchanges are crazy, and they're all over the place. Houston is terrible. Move along, move along.
Comfort FoodComfort Food
Comfort Food

Nothing says lovin' like a good home-cooked meal made by your second favorite child.
Hey there, Les...Hey there, Les...
Hey there, Les...

...you're a mess.


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb