There we were - me and Davey Crockett.....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
January 30th 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

At the AlamoAt the AlamoAt the Alamo

Davey Crockett used to live here
For those who may not recall who quoted the words "there we were - me and Davey Crockett - shoulder to shoulder and backs to the wall" they were from Private Duffy in the 60's sitcom "F Troop" when he claims he is the sole survivor of the Alamo siege in 1836.

Anyway it is a "Segway" to our next tourist venture - we took the hour and a half drive South to San Antonio last Sunday and looked around the Alamo site - of which there is not much left of the original fort. Another highlight of San Antonio is the very pretty river walk which meanders for "miles" along the river with restaurants down each side. Some people may have seen on Glenda's facebook that we even spotted "Where's Wally" down there.

On the way home we stopped at San Marcos which has a "huge" outlet shopping centre spread out over acres of space with lots of name brand factory warehouse shops and very cheap prices. We certainly did not arrive back to our "Town Place Suites" hotel empty handed.

Had Mexican Friday night with a guy that had been training with col for the last 2 weeks, Fran, he lives on the east coast and we have had a few good nights out with him.


Yesterday (Saturday) we drove to Fredericksburg which is about an hour and a half drive West. It has a very big German influence and the very old main street goes for blocks with antique and tourist shops as well as restaurants and museums. While Glenda browsed the clothes shops I called into a western store which sold knives and guns. There was an elderly lady in there being shown different small hand guns to fit in her handbag for personal safety - it certainly is a different world.

We then drove out to a place called 'Enchanted Rocks' great hiking and camping area. We climbed the huge red rock (red granite) and were rewarded with fantastic 360 degree views.

On the way home we stopped in downtown Austin and had a meal at "Lamberts" on 2nd Street. This had been one of the restaurants referred to us by the many people we had spoken to. It was a bit expensive but the steak was beautiful.

We then wandered along 6th street which has heaps of
Found him!!!!Found him!!!!Found him!!!!

Y'all would know who we mean.....
small bars with live bands in them. We stopped at the 'Dizzy Rooster' bar and had a couple of beers and listened to a single performer and a band - they were both quite good.

During the week (Glenda here) I continued to venture out by foot and by bus, met some friendly and interesting characters.. everyone has a story - did a tour of the local museum and the Blanford art museum. Found another shopping mall - up market but rather nice to hang out. Shopped, got a coffee, then sat in a rocking chair in front of an open fire outdoors. Hope all is well at home.

Glenda & Col x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Australia Day!Australia Day!
Australia Day!

I took vegemite scrolls to work for Australia Day
Enchanted RocksEnchanted Rocks
Enchanted Rocks

Fixin' to head up to the top of the rock behind us


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb