Quit Your Job and Move to Nashville


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
October 26th 2012
Published: October 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

By Jane Schultz

Phantom Press

Nashville is known as the home of country music and is often associated with hungry country star wannabes, but the thriving metropolis also holds a lot of great urban culture underneath its 10 gallon cowboy hat. While the Grand Ole Opry and Country Music Hall of Fame are a few classic staples of this spectacular town, Music City has plenty to offer its residents and the 10 million visitors who travel through here annually. From drinks and eats, to visual and audible treats, the capital of Tennessee is sure to satisfy.

Nashville's job growth is one of the fastest in the country, creating a steady influx of new residents every year. So whether you're planning to quit your job and move to Nashville, or just in need of a getaway, here are some helpful tips and informatin to guide your next adventure.

Lower Broadway is Nashville:

To truly understand how Nashville gained its title "Music City," you have to check out lower Broadway. Restaurants, gift shops, music stores, and museums are interwined in a vast array of bars and lounges along Broadway in the heart of downtown. A simple day of sightseeing can easily turn into a night of musical debauchery. With over 20 venues that showcase free live bands, this is where honkytonking becomes a verb.

Start your journey at Broadway and 5th Ave and work your way up to 2nd Ave, making sure to hit up favorites such as Laylas Bluegrass Inn (418 Broadway), The Stage (412 Broadway), and Nashville Crossroads (419 Broadway). Even if you're not a country music fan, you may just find unknown or famous talent that exceeds your expectations.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks on a ticket for a show, checkout the Ryman Auditorium (116 5th Ave N). The historic 1892 tabernacle has become known as one of the best places to a musical performance in the world, and showacases acts of all genres. Also, the Nashville Schermerhorn Center (1 Symphony Place) is home to the Nashville Symphony, who often mixes in local and international talent into their repertoire.

Don't forget to have a little sustenance before the show from any one of the casual to fine dining restaurants that adorn the streets. Jacks Bar-B-Que (416 Broadway) and Puckett's Grocery (120 4th Ave S) will provide you with classic southern fare, while The Palm (140 5th Ave S) and Merchants (401 Broadway) gives you a touch of class. If an after show fill up is due, hit up the late night favorite Hermitage Cafe (71 Hermitage Ave) for some good home cooking.

The best local neighborhood:

To have a true local experience, head over to East Nashville's 5 points area. This bohemian neighborhood is a favorite amoung residents, which offers an eclectic mix of drink, music, and grub. Sit back and enjoy a bold wine at Rumours East (1112 Woodland St) or walk a few feet to 3 Crow Bar (1020 Woodland St) for a local Yazoo brew. Often you will find hipsters to hidden celebrities taking in music at The 5 Spot (1006 Forrest Ave), or eating delicious cuisine at Marche (1000 Main St) or Holland House (935 W Eastland Ave). No matter where you decide to hang, East Nashville perfectly highlights how many Nashvillians choose to pass their time.

The park:

For an active and cultural expedition, the 132 acre Centennial Park (2500 West End Ave) is the place to go. Because Nashville is the sister city to Athens, Greece; Centennial Park is home to an exact replica of the Parthenon featuring the 42 foot Athena statue. Inside, you will find a museum which houses 19th and 20th century American paintings and small local exhibitions. Luscious gardens and multiple trails also provide a great backdrop for festivals and events, bringing in locals and visitors of all types.

Having an endless list of venues, event,s and attractions, Nashville is making its mark as one of the premier cities in the country. Whether your stay is extended or for only a few short days, these simple tips will help guide you through a journey that only Music City can offer. With the charm of southern hospitality and the modern feel of a bustling city, Nashville mixes together the perfect recipe for every guest or new resident it greets.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb