Unware of Ike


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
October 1st 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Roanoke Sunday morning headed for Jackson, Tennessee between Nashville and Memphis. However, things did not turn out as planned. Maybe you heard about a gasoline shortage in several eastern cities due to Ike, Nashville was one such city (we did not hear). When we hit town it was fumes, but there was no gasoline to be found. We pulled into a Holiday Inn Express parking lot after talking with local police who confirmed there was no gasoline in the area.

I checked with the motel for room availability, however they did not take DOGS. The KC factor rears its ugly head. Meanwhile Bets is on the phone with AAA, but the response is the feared “we ain’t got none and we don’t know when we’ll git sum”. However AAA offered to tow us up to a hundred miles to find gas. Not aware of the Nashville, the area, or the extent of the shortage, we chose to be towed to a KC friendly motel.

It was not a winner of an option, but it was a place out of the heat and humidity. It was not a good night as Betty was unable to eat the food I found at a local greasy spoon and I did not find anything on the menu for vegans. It was a restless night as visions of being trapped in Nashville danced in my head.

Woke up on Monday with a new resolve to find a solution to the problem. On one of my many trips to the car, I noticed a sticker on the driver-side window for Subaru emergence road service and an 800 number. Bets called and an hour and half later we were on the road with a whopping 2 gallons in the tank. Once outside of Nashville, we found gas as the service man predicted 20 miles out of Nashville and was off to Little Rock, AK.

Remember the John Denver song about spending a week one night in Toledo, Ohio. Well are sequel is in Nashville and it was a lifetime not a week. BTW - you may have heard a collective sigh on the morning of 9/22 about 9 AM PDT as we filled up outside of Nashville.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb