Nashville


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
June 19th 2007
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Not so fast on Nashville! We couldn't leave without first going to a meat and three restaurant. Monell's came highly recommended by a local for their great fried chicken.

We parked my car right in front of the restaurant (an old country house) and it was so beautiful, we started to take pictures right away. We were also a bit early so had a little time before they started serving.

A tour bus passes by and we think it's a group of people that's all coming down to eat so R and I run inside.

E hears, Welcome to America! and quickly realizes that one of the people in the bus had yelled, Look, Japanese tourists! right before that

Later, she tells us, Couldn't they tell we were well-fed American supersizers? True, that. I mean, we're not exactly the superskinny Asian tourists.... and none of us were Japanese.

So we finally sit down on a family size table where anyone can sit. The rules are that you always pass the food to your left. There's sweet tea, iced tea and lemonade as well as salad. They bring out the biscuits and corn bread right away. The day's specials are fried chicken, ribs and spinach lasagna (go figure on that one) and we are joined by two friends who live in Nashville, one of whom is 60 years old but looks like she's about 45. The other is a 90-year old man who came in with his walker. I figure if he's still eating fried chicken at 90, it can't be that bad for you!

The sides are turnip greens, sweet-pickled cucumbers, homemade peach preserves, banana cream pudding (yummy), mashed potatoes, white beans, green beans, and corn pudding. The 60-year old woman suggested we mix the turnip greens with cut up tomatoes and hot sauce.

Try it. Ooooh, mmmm, lollll-ly!

And it was quite good. As was everything (except for the green beans).

The second rule was that you could eat as much as you can as long as you finish off your plate. And when you're done, you let them know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb