Small town 4th of July


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Waking up mostly rested from our night in the van, upon the return from the rest room, Sam and I learned that the others hadn't slept well at all so the decision NOT to camp the second night was made. We broke camp and headed over the the event of the day. We were a bit late in getting out of camp and hadn't yet had breakfast. We drove into town and discovered we blocked by the 4th of July parade. After several attempts to naviagate the neighborhood to find someplace yummy for breakfast, we gave up and headed towards the McDonalds. As soon as we realized that the BBQ place had just opened - we went there making it the first official BBQ breakfast we had in the south.

One of the major reasons we were camping in the first place was because Alynne and Daniel had made arrangements to take part in the Kingston, TN 4th of July celebration by attempting to break the world's record of number of participants in a human American flag. More than 800 participants were expected to start showing up about 8:00 to get their entire body spray painted in red, white or blue so that they could pose as a giant flag for Guiness. Danny and Tom were set to play to entertain the crowds. Charlotte was going to do the Star Spangled Banner Jimi Hendrix style.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as well as planned and only 23 of the 800 people showed up. Most of the crowd seemed to be there to watch the riverboat races- something "Earl" did exceptionally well throughout the hours of races. Danny and Tom played a bit for us, Charlotte did her thing and the rest of us sat around grateful that we don't live in this particular town in Tennessee. Sam, Rece and Charlotte were offered a lot of Republican paraphenalia which they took and refigured into marketing materials for the event. I made clover chains. Gabe took pictures of boats.

About 4:00, we'd had enough and packed up and headed back to Alynne and Daniel's place for the night. They live on a small private farm with horses, ducks and chickens - the kids enjoyed looking around and I liked visiting the horses. It was a beautiful place. Danny, Gabe and Tom made a great pasta, chicken and veggie dinner while I did laundry. The kids played board games and we relaxed until dark. As soon as it was dark enough, the fireworks started. Gabe got out his camera and took lots of fireworks shots with Danny and the kids running around in the field.

9. While were were driving around this area, we kept seeing signs for "Frozen Head State Park" and we wondered why it was called that. The answer isn't nearly as grisley as we'd guessed - it's named for "Frozen Head Mountain" named because it is snow capped during parts of the year.

Laundry, laundry, laundry....




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

What is it?What is it?
What is it?

Sam and Gabe were so....unoccupied....they started taking pcitures of bugs.
Body paintingBody painting
Body painting

Many of the people who participated were kids.
Too many cooks in the kitchen?Too many cooks in the kitchen?
Too many cooks in the kitchen?

Danny and Gabe spice things up.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb