The Midwest


Advertisement
Published: November 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The last two days were spent traveling through South Dakato and Wyoming. I am awe struck at the magnitude of the west. Farms that stretch for miles and roads that connect one small town to another. What must life be like for these families? How and where do the children go to school? A bus ride would be for hours. I drove by a town called Lost Springs with the population advertised as 1!!

The Black Hills are spectacular and carved within them is Mt. Rushmore. The honor given to the four presidents who began this country and kept it going in the spirit of freedom and liberty is told in this majectic sculpture. On to Crazy Horse a sculpture just begun in honor of the native americans who have lost their land.
I went on to Hot Springs and witnessed the largest dig in the US at the Mammoth sink hole and then to the Horse Sanctuary on a ranch 17 miles into the Black Hills. What an experience that was!

My overwhelmng response to these travels is the different life style that is lived here among miles of hills, praries, cattle and horses has got to be so different than my life in Saratoga Springs, NY. but I did not get the opportunity to have that conversation with any of the "natives" of this area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb