Mt Rushmore


Advertisement
Published: September 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

More models, plus the toolMore models, plus the toolMore models, plus the tool

used to do the delicate work.

If it’s September, we must be on the road! We’re headed to Rexford, Kansas, by the way of Mt. Rushmore. We spent several days in Rapid City, where we haven’t been since our girls were in junior high. Two things come to mind: things have really changed in Rapid City, and we must be getting old. Both of those thoughts are ok with me!

The weather was windy and rainy (is this the summer for that???) so we didn’t do a lot of looking around, but we did spend most of a day at Mt Rushmore. They have developed it quite a lot in the past 20 years~~they have better walkways, and the museum of Borglum’s studio is much nicer. They have a program and lighting ceremony every evening, but we didn’t have sit-outside-and-watch-anything weather, so no report from me on that!

It was wonderful weather for touring a Black Hills gold jewelry factory, though! When we toured a chocolate factory (in Georgia) they gave us samples at the end….they don’t do that at a jewelry factory! But they were kind enough to have an outlet store as part of the tour!

I know you’ve all probably
These are the original modelsThese are the original modelsThese are the original models

that Borglum used. The plumb bob was used as a measurment and information was relayed to the workers on the mountain.
been there, but it’s September, and I’m still a teacher at heart, so go look at the pictures, and review Mt Rushmore!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

This was Borglum's original planThis was Borglum's original plan
This was Borglum's original plan

for the mountain. It was soon discovered that the rock couldn't handle this much carving. There were only three Presidents in the first plan.
The mountain was carved with The mountain was carved with
The mountain was carved with

Jefferson on the left side of Washington, and then Borglum didn't like the look, so he had them blow that off the mountain, and moved Jefferson to the other side. This picture shows the first carvings.
Isn't this an interesting view?Isn't this an interesting view?
Isn't this an interesting view?

We drove around to the back of the mountain, and there's one spot where Washington's profile is visible. We'd never seen it before.
I included this shot becauseI included this shot because
I included this shot because

it shows the rock on the side of the faces. The way the rock curves around reminds me of petrified wood.
In September workers clean the facesIn September workers clean the faces
In September workers clean the faces

and make any necessary repairs (cracks or chips in the rock that will collect water.) On top of Roosevelt's head is the sling that will lower a worker. They hadn't begun the work yet, but were in the process of getting the staging set up. They do this annually.
 I've wondered how these four Presidents I've wondered how these four Presidents
I've wondered how these four Presidents

were chosen. (I heard a comment once that only Americans would name a monument Rush more!)


5th September 2009

Vicki's blogs
We love your blogs Vicki-we have had a good summer and last weekend Ray,Randy and families went to the U.P. to the site of Rick's accident and put up a cross on a tree which Ron made.We didn't have time to grieve or reminese as the mosquitoes descended on every bit of exposed skin as soon as we stopped but glad we did it and had a special weekend.We'll keep in touch
5th September 2009

Hi, Rose!
I'm glad to hear your summer was good. Are you going on project this year? Want to come to Kansas with us?! We were telling our leaders (Glen and Joyce) about our fun shuffleboard games! We miss you two!
7th September 2009

Hi, Rosi!
We attended a BBQ in the park...does that count as eating our way through the weekend?! Rexford, Kansas is different than any place we've been to....not in a bad way, but certainly a more laid-back way! Let us know when your reports come in, ok?

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb