Biking on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina


Advertisement
Published: March 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hilton Head Island

Hilton Head Island

Biking on Hilton Head Island





The good news is that there are lots of trails and all are FLAT.

The bad news is that 70%!o(MISSING)f the island is GATED. In order to use the trails behind these gates, you must pay an entry fee(generally around $6.00). Granted there are a number of trails along the main roads that are free. But those trails usually parallel main roads and therefore busy. If you want quiet, low traffic, peaceful rides then your choice is behind one of the gated communities. These gated communities can be fairly large. For example, Sea Pines takes up most of the southern part of the island.



Another choice is to bike on the beach, especially during low tides. The sand is hard packed and as smooth as riding on fresh pavement. Since so much of the island is gated, there are very few public beach access points and even when there are, there is little parking. One of the easiest places to access the beach is at Coligny Park. Highway 278 becomes Pope Avenue and Pope Avenue ends at Coligny Park. Be sure to inquire as to when low tides occur for the best beach rides.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.462s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb