Cruise: Friday & New York: Sat


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Rhode Island » Newport
October 8th 2013
Published: October 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday:Last full day of the cruise, we dropped anchor off shore from Newport, Rhode Island. A tender trip later and we were on a hop-on/off trolley driving towards the cliff-top walk and the opulent mansions that characterise Newport. A brief stroll along the cliff-top walk saw us outside The Breakers, the most magnificent of the mansions - former summer cottage of the VandeBilts. The tour, including audio narration, was fascinating and a genuine insight into the decadence of the era. We took in one more mansion, the aptly named Marble House, again courtesy of another Mrs VanDeBilt. Later on, we speculated that the US does audio-tours really well - National Trust, please note!! Back on board we ate, by ourselves!!, and then set about packing - what joy!! A brandy over a few numbers from the Jazz group and we turned in early ready for an early start tomorrow.

Saturday: Up early as we needed to vacate our cabin @ 8am. A hearty breakfast, a short wait, immigration control and a taxi ride saw us at our NYC hotel by 11.30pm!! The hotel is a couple of blocks from Times Sq and just off Broadway and so we unpacked and set off. After coffee, Central Park was the first port of call - a delightful oasis in this throbbing city. Highlights were the 'DogFest', a gathering of dogs of all shapes and sizes and their owners .We also enjoyed the few innings of softball we watched on Heckcher's Ballfield, teams were mixed both in terms of age and gender. After that we wandered down to the heaving mass of tourists that is Times Square - scary or what!! On the way back we took the lift up to the 48th floor of the Marriott Hotel to see the revolving restaurant and then satisfied our curiosity by popping our head into the Hard Rock Cafe - our bravery was rewarded by the sight of a George Harrison guitar!! We ate Italian in the evening at the Trattoria Tricolore - good call, Rob & Wendy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb