If You Visit East Greenwich, RI


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Pavane's home port is Brewers Cowesett Marina in East Greenwich. This is a great place to keep a boat but it is a mile-and-a-half walk into East Greenwich proper. So if you are just visiting East Greenwich for a night or two, this is what you should do.

Once you are safely in Greenwich Bay, head South West and into Greenwich Cove. The East Greenwich Yacht Club (EGYC) manages most of the moorings in Greenwich Cove. In the days when we "just visited" here, they always found us a nice comfortable mooring. Greenwich Cove is a pretty place. The yacht club provides launch service but, if you prefer to row, your mooring will probably be within 100 yards of the dock. The club has some of the most civilized shower facilities in New England.

Once ashore, you can dine at the outdoor bar in "Blu" and keep an eye on your boat. Their lobster rolls are outstanding ... and we have eaten lobster rolls in most ports from New York to Bar Harbor. At the moment, if you happen to be there on Monday, all bottles of wine are half price. Today is Monday. We checked!

If you walk under the railway arches and up the short but steep King Street past the pepto bismol house, you come to Main Street, also known as Route 1. Just to your right at 96 Main Street is Simon Says, which offers great breakfast croissants. If instead you turn left and head south on Main Street, you will come to a CVS plaza which houses "Kon Asian Bistro & Hibachi". This is well worth the half-mile walk, although if you make it that far, you will have passed a dozen other restaurants with food to satisfy any taste.

Back at the yacht club, they have diesel and pump-out facilities. Norton's Shipyard is just down the road with a well stocked ships store and helpful staff. Greenwich Cove is well tucked in, so would probably be a good place to hide out from bad weather. The only thing that this location does NOT provide is a supermarket or other food store. For that, you will need a taxi. However, if you are here on Monday afternoon, after finishing your half-price bottle of wine, you can walk into town and visit the small but fun farmers market. Enjoy.

If you plan to pick up or set down visitors, T.F. Green Airport is six miles up the road and the local bus goes direct to downtown Providence.

If you have questions, I will be happy to try to answer them.

Note that this blog should contain five photos. You may need to scroll down to see them all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



30th July 2013

Love the Pepto Bismal house!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb