Day One of Pre-Camp!


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I guess technically yesterday was day one. But we didn't do any work. We took the redeye (UGH) to JFK, where we slept in the airport--I felt homeless--and then got picked up. In the van we met a bunch of our co-workers who had also flown in. After missing the turn to get to Newark Airport, we picked up two more, but then one had forgotten her purse and by the time we got back someone had stolen her cell phone and a bunch of money. :o( The drive was about 4 hours and I slept a lot of the way.
When we got to camp we moved all our stuff into the bunks. The campus is gorgeous--super green and grassy and tree-y, etc. The bunks are nice, too; they house about 12-15 and then there's a space in between two bunks that connects them, which has cubbies that campers store their clothes in. The bathroom is in the back, next to the pegs where our shoes go. We had dinner and our first pre-camp meeting, which was just an overview of what we'd be doing. So far everyone is very nice.
Today we got up at 7:30 and went to breakfast (french toast!). Then we started our work. Nobody's going to believe me when I write that we moved rocks all day. No joke. We'd take out rocks from the hill and then throw them down the hill, and then slowly move down until we threw them into the tractor, which would throw them into the dump truck. It sounds like prison work, but it wasn't too bad. The weather this morning was frigid, but it warmed up a bit (especially after working) and hopefully it'll get warmer soon. We get off work at 5 so I'm done for the day. Not a bad start. :o)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb