Research


Advertisement
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Once again, this past week in Professor Sena's class was the influence for this blog. In the last couple of classes Professor Sena has been urging myself and my fellow students to make thesis statements about almost anything and then tell how we would come up with the facts to support our arguement, but more importantly what would be the tools we used to research our facts. When we were asked what we would use the obvious answer would was ofcoure "google". And why shouldn't it be? We basically have all the knowledge we would ever need to know or use at our fingertips. The internet and search engines such as "google" and "yahoo" are incredable tools for making information available to anybody. But are students today spoiled? The internet has only been around the last 9 to 10 years. Do younger students now a days no how to research a topic without using the internet? Im afraid i do not want to know the answer to that question (like I should talk), but the real question is do kids today really need to know how to do all that extra work if they are just going to use the internet in the end anyway. I personally am very conflicted with this situation. On the pro-internet side one could make the argument "why rub two sticks together when you have a lighter/stove?". And this is a very valid argument. On the pro-'old fashion way' argument, one could say that it teaches the children a good work ethic, it gives them a chance use their brain more, and of course that stuff on the internet is not always credible. This battle between the internet and physical sources of information will not go away anytime soon, and i think for now for the use of them together is the best way to go.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb