Pine Creek Inn


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Where should we eat? It is the inevitable question when we are out. Today I helped us answer the question by pulling a handful of coupons out of my wallet. There were a number of familar options and then I came to a buy one get one free coupon from Pine Creek Inn in Jersey Shore (no not the coast of New Jersey, a small city in Pennsylvania). It was on the way home so it seemed the perfect choice. The coupon said it was located at 5645 N State Route 44 north of Jersey Shore. We got off Route 220 onto Route 44 about 3 miles north of Jersey Shore and tentatively headed north. We went a few miles and I decided to turn around but as I was turning I noticed a mailbox with a number in the 2000's so headed north again and watched the numbers on the mailboxes climb until finally 7 miles north of Jersey Shore we came to the Pine Creek Inn, an inauspicious looking place, that I would normally pass by without much thought. We walked along the front of the building to an entrance and walked into an empty dining room. Just past this room was a bar and the bar tender greeted us with what seemed like a tone of surprise to see us. Hmmm, it's not looking good. "Smoking or non-smoking?" we are asked. "Non-smoking" we reply and we are invited to step behind the bar and enter another room through a door way. Hmmm, this is a bit odd.

But now it gets better. There is another dining room with other diners present and a long table with a reserved sign on it. The waitress tells us that the special today is turkey and stuffing with corn, mashed potatoes, gravy and peaches for $7.50. We peruse the menu. It's a classic American cuisine menu with a large choice of sides with the entrees. I decide on liver & onions, tossed salad w/ sweet & sour dressing and baked potato. My mother decides on the marinated steak with the same sides. Already on the table is a basket of bread and butter. It looks and tastes homemade, if a bit bland. Our food was good, basic preparations, but well prepared and good quality. My portion of liver was very generous. Both of our entrees were under $10. The crowning touch to the meal was our dessert. We were give a choice of several kinds of pie and a coconut cake and told that most of the desserts were made at the restaurant. We decided to share a piece of pineapple cream pie. It was very good, a tender crust, a pineapple cream filling topped with merigue. Next time I come here I'll try a sandwich and get my own dessert.

On the way out we realized that we had come in the "wrong" door and noticed a dramatic bear rug on the wall that would have greeted us if we'd come in the right way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Pinapple cream piePinapple cream pie
Pinapple cream pie

Dottie can't wait to eat it.


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb