Kutztown Festival


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Kutztown
August 14th 2012
Published: August 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This is wonderful event, the yearly celebration of the Pennsylvania Dutch culture in this region -- the food and crafts and folk art, the dancing and music. Also, a strong effort has been made to educate the people attending about the history and culture of the Pennsylvania Dutch. As one of the signs below explains, the plain people are the Amish and Mennonites; the others are the Lutherans and "reformed." If you have an interest in the Pennsylvania Dutch, you might want to read the signs below as they do a good job of explaining some of the characteristics of the culture -- including examples of some favorite cuss words (although I challenge you to remember them . . . )

I'm hoping the smattering of photos included in this blog will give you a flavor of this festival -- the color, the pride, and the sheer joyousness. It's rare to see so many happy people in one place.

Paula & Bob


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

miniature merry-go-roundminiature merry-go-round
miniature merry-go-round

This was carved by the man who built the calliope in the 50's and carved everything on it.
hit & miss / stationery engineshit & miss / stationery engines
hit & miss / stationery engines

These engines helped bring about the industrialization of the farm community.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb