The Mother Road


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Tulsa
June 16th 2007
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Desert Hills MotelDesert Hills MotelDesert Hills Motel

A classic motel sign from Route 66 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I think the marquee is interesting and wonder what it read back the the heyday of the Mother Road. Guess it read Color TV and Phone. Did they have hot plates in motels before microwaves came out?

The Mother Road

 North America » United States » Oklahoma » Tulsa By Cruzn4Photos
June 16th 2007How about taking a little visual trip down memory lane with me.

I spent the day getting my kicks on Route 66. I started in Tulsa and drove down to Kellyville stopping at the Hickory House Bar-B-Que in Sapulpa for lunch.

I then hopped on the turnpike (I-44) and drove northeast to Vinita. From there I got back on the Mother Road and took it back down to Tulsa stopping along the way.

The images will tell the story from today. Enjoy!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Tally's CafeTally's Cafe
Tally's Cafe

Another Route 66 icon in Tulsa - Tally's Cafe. The sign touts home made food!
Flying Roller SkateFlying Roller Skate
Flying Roller Skate

Skating rink in Sapulpa, OK.
1924 Bridge1924 Bridge
1924 Bridge

This is a bridge constructed in 1924 which was originally on the Ozark Trail and became a part of Route 66. This section was in use until 1952 when a newer bridge was built to the south of this location. You might be ble to see the Teepee Drive-in Theater's screen in the background through the bridge. This section of road has a few places where you can see the original Portland Cement showing through the thin layer of asphalt. Another interesting feature is the brick decked surface on the truss bridge.
All Dried UpAll Dried Up
All Dried Up

I don't know the history of this feature, but I found it intriguing enough to stop, explore, and photograph.
Theater Vinita, OKTheater Vinita, OK
Theater Vinita, OK

This is the theater on the main drag - Route 66 in downtown Vinita, OK.
World's Largest Totem PoleWorld's Largest Totem Pole
World's Largest Totem Pole

Just north of Foyil, OK 4 miles east of Route 66 is the Totem Pole Park. Mr. Ed Galloway built a number of concrete totem poles in the late 30s and early 40s and this one, completed in 1948 is 90 feet tall. It is made of concrete.
Blue WhaleBlue Whale
Blue Whale

Located in Catoosa, OK, the Blue Whale has been a Route 66 landmark since it was constructed in 1970. The whale was part of an entertainment comples that included an alligator pit, a swimming hole, and a replica of Noah's Ark.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb