Visiting Friends and Family


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Tulsa
January 25th 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tulsa, Oklahoma


Oklahoma Facts

As many of you know, I was raised in Bartlesville, Oklahoma for 18 years. Shortly after I left for College, my parents also moved away and headed to Colorado. My sister has since relocated back to Tulsa, the 2nd largest city in Oklahoma. I also have a small group of high school friends that live there as well as a California friend who has recently moved back.

It was nice to visit my sister, see my friends, and of course, get some BRAUMS . Braums is a dairy store with the best hamburgers, ice cream, and cherry limeades. It was also my first job for many months when I turned 16. If you're one of those that has moved away from Oklahoma, you're probably missing right now while reading this. 😊

The last time I came to Tulsa was in 2005 for my 10 year High School reunion. My sister has now bought a wonderful house and is happy at her new job. I got to meet some of her friends and see the Fontana Design center where she works. She likes her boss and is happy with her new roles and responsibilities as office manager. Elizabeth, Amy's cat, is always a very friendly, but shy cat and I was lucky to get a few good photos of her for Amy to print or use as her desktop. I am happy that Amy is doing well and that Tulsa continues to grow everyday.

The largest change that I saw in Tulsa, was the increase in Indian Casinos. On Saturday, my friend Mike and I went to play in a small 70 person Texas Hold'em Poker tournament. The tournament started at noon and appeared to be a collection of well seasoned locals. After 3 hours, it was down to 2 tables and Mike and I were still in it. I unfortunately lost my chips shortly after that and got knocked out around 18th. However, Mike continued to increase his chip stack and after another hour, was sitting at 3rd place in chips with 4 people left. The table then agreed to equally split the top 4 money prizes and everyone walked away with 540 dollars. Mike's Largest and First Casino poker win, and I was there to witness the magic. Coincidentally, 3 years ago when I won my first Casino poker win, Mike was there to cheer me on. And now, the tides have turned and I was there to reciprocate the support. GOOD JOB MIKE!!

On Sunday, I got to hang out with my good friend Cara, Mike, and their son Garrison. Garrison has grown a lot since the last time I saw him and we quickly became friends as he pulled me into his room and motioned for me to read a few lines from Cat in the Hat. It was good to hang out with both of them and see their beautiful home, which they continually renovate and improve each time I visit.

So after a quick trip to Tulsa, I headed home to California with a short 3 hour layover in Houston. Luckily, I have a few good friends there and got to spend a nice dinner with Kathryn, Todd, and Zahid. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time though to try what supposedly is an amazing ice cream store, AMY'S Ice Cream. Maybe next time. 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



7th February 2007

Tulsa Time
Nathan, I think I am going to thoroughly enjoy your travel blog. It's a great idea and a nice way to share your travels. It was great seeing you again and ultra fun playing poker with you once more. I completely expected you to walk away with the big prize at the poker tourney but I think it's cool you could cheer me on at the final table. Have fun in Australia!
5th September 2007

Next time
Next time you are as close as Tulsa let me know if you have the time for me to run up and see you. All is fine in the King-Cain family and the same (that's Bartlesville for you.) I will follow your travels and see some of the world through your eyes. Take care of yourself. With love.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb