Get'n our kicks on Route 66


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Sand Springs
October 20th 2017
Published: October 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We named our Road Atlas dad, since my dad is all about a ?and we must say, 'thank goodness for dad on this route!' Dad was a huge help...he is better than Google Maps or Waze on Route 66 ?

Spencer, MO - gas 12.5 cents a gallon. Unfortunately they weren't open...

We drove over the ? bridge - Brush Creek Bridge, the only remaining example of a fixed Marsh Rainbow Arch bridge left on Kansas Route 66. We want to come back and paint it rainbow colors ? ?

Passed through all kinds of small towns along Route 66, many of which are closed and barren. Quite sad ?

Karen misbehaved in Galena KS so she got thrown in jail. She apologized - she was very sincere so I let her out. There was music playing, 'Under the Boardwalk', in the downtown area and not a single soul in sight...other than one kid biking through ??Karen decided to get some tunes going and found a Route 66 station on Pandora. Great music if you ever want to check it out ??we rolled down the windows and jammed cruising the 2 lane road with the terrain changing from gravel to cement to asphalt and sometimes even dirt and narrowing roads.

Pulled into our campground as scheduled, Keystone Lake OK just west of Tulsa OK. Once again, perfect camp site and location to view the sunset and the lake. We enjoyed perfectly grilled filet and ? and a long walk after dinner to explore the area, including the marina. Came back to our camp site ~9:30pm to get into Spa Haven. All of a sudden, a woman at a nearby camp site started yelling multiple times 'call 911...my husband is trying to kill me!' We both looked at each other like, 'is this really happening?' I told Karen about the man's odd behavior when I was making dinner and she was paying the $14 ⛺️ fee to the Ranger. He was very impatient - crossing his arms/rubbing his arms and pacing...there was a young boy, 5 years old or so, with him but we never saw a woman. So, I grabbed my mobile phone and Big Ed - the hunting knife that our friends Cathy/Ed let us borrow and said 'let's go.' (yes, Cathy/Ed let us borrow a lot of stuff for our trip) ? We walked to another camp site where we saw a man and his family earlier and called 911. Within 10 minutes the Park Ranger and Sheriff pulled up as we sat at the picnic table at our site and watched. It was very dark and difficult to see what was going on. Over the next 2 hours, we saw a woman and another ? child come out of the tent ⛺️ and the camp was being packed up. Then, another car ? pulls up. An older man and woman get out and he says, 'what happened, what did you do?' Based on what we could make out, we presumed it was the man's parents because the older man said, 'you ride with your mother and I will follow.' They drove off and the Ranger stomped out the fire ? and escorted them out of the park. We will never know what really happened...hopefully the kids and woman are alright.

Slept well and had a big breakfast ? Now on our way to Amarillo TX??

Advertisement



20th October 2017

Bad guys and bears
Glad you had big Ed with you. You just never know. We are glad your tent is up off the ground. Not just bears out there! Fun following your adventure!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb