America Through The Windshield


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Milan
December 4th 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Smolen- Gulf BridgeSmolen- Gulf BridgeSmolen- Gulf Bridge

Covered bridge over the Ashtabula River is 613 feet long. This makes it the longest covered bridge in the U.S. and the 4th longest in the world.
Geo: 41.2975, -82.6056

It's early in the trip but DH has already developed a unique way to express her enthusiasm with respect to each of the many sights and eccentricities offered up in the U.S.. If she decides to wait in the car while I grab the photo as part of this extended scavenger hunt we're on, she's definitely not tingling with excitement (particularly if she insists on leaving the car running). I discovered this new rating system when I parked the vehicle facing away from the "World's Shortest Covered Bridge" and was given the DH stare-down suggesting that I could have planned the parking situation such that the Princess would not have to exit the carriage. I'm really trying hard to mix in a number of exit worthy sights, because if I don't, her sweater ends up covered in cookie crumbs and she gets a strange faraway look (like she's trying to imagine a life with a guy who didn't think the a Really Large Rocking Chair was a cool thing to see).

One thing I know she gets excited about is visiting friends, so on our way through Ohio we made a point of dropping in on Chris and Rebecca. Chris
Covered BridgeCovered BridgeCovered Bridge

From her seat in the car, DH didn't think the bridge looked that long.
has been a good friend for quite some time and although we don't see him often enough his updates rival some of the best update stories we get. Admittedly they are particularly captivating because he always seems to end up in jail for some significant portion of the story. Whether he's in Afghanistan for no discernibly good reason, adopting orphan kids whose parents are both still alive, or suing hillbillies in West Virginia, there's no denying the compelling complexity. After flipping through the most recent mug shots we made our way to the guest room only to find the bedside table stacked high with ammunition for an AK-47 that was presumably hidden under the bed. We decided not to ask too many questions.

The next day, Rebecca, in particular, refused to take us to the highlight of the town, the childhood home of Thomas Edison, because of a traumatic experience with recent guests but they did take us to the Merry-Go-Round Museum. At the end of the tour we were allowed to take a ride which brought back a number of good and bad memories for DH. Apparently if you didn't move fast enough you got stuck with one of
Covered BridgeCovered BridgeCovered Bridge

Ohio has almost 2,000 covered bridges.
the chairs or benches (bad) but if you got on quick you got one of the outside fast horses (good). It's times like this that make me glad that my childhood memories are pretty much non-existent.

We had a great time catching up with Chris and Rebecca (and always have a ready supply of bail money), and, once again, we do apologize for making you sit through travel videos but you did have that great theatre screen in the basement.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Giant Rocking ChairGiant Rocking Chair
Giant Rocking Chair

Still an impressive 20 ft tall- how could DH not get out of the car for this one??
Ohio Front YardOhio Front Yard
Ohio Front Yard

This was just some guys front yard. Some people just collect stamps.
The Shortest Covered Bridge In The WorldThe Shortest Covered Bridge In The World
The Shortest Covered Bridge In The World

If I had done a better job of parking DH could have stayed in the car for the full viewing experience. She didn't think it looked that short.
City HallCity Hall
City Hall

That tank looks like it is clearly aiming at a world globe mounted on top of a pole.
The Polka MuseumThe Polka Museum
The Polka Museum

Unbelievably, the Polka Museum was closed in the winter due to a limited interest. Must be run by a friend of DH.
Expanding Your Customer BaseExpanding Your Customer Base
Expanding Your Customer Base

I'm not sure what your dog would look like if you ran him through a car wash but you might be wise to turn off the waxing station.
Raymond Johnson ChpmanRaymond Johnson Chpman
Raymond Johnson Chpman

He remains the only Major League Baseball player to have died from an injury received at a major league baseball game (hit in the head by a pitch).
Elliot NessElliot Ness
Elliot Ness

He was an American Prohibition agent, famous for his efforts to enforce Prohibition in Chicago, Illinois, and the leader of a famous team of law enforcement agents nicknamed The Untouchables.
Rockefeller Obelisk Rockefeller Obelisk
Rockefeller Obelisk

The family obelisk is one of the tallest in the cemetery.
Modest JD Rockefeller GraveModest JD Rockefeller Grave
Modest JD Rockefeller Grave

Many visitors leave dimes at the site, in honor of Rockefeller's habit of giving dimes to children.
Rossford Library Rossford Library
Rossford Library

This is the sign at the entrance-way to a library. Who brings a gun to the library??
Shoe Of The World's Tallest ManShoe Of The World's Tallest Man
Shoe Of The World's Tallest Man

Robert Pershing Wadlow, when last measured on 27 June 1940, was found to be 2.72 m (8 ft 11.1 in) tall. His shoe size was 37AA (47 cm (18.5 in) long)
Chris & Rebecca And FamilyChris & Rebecca And Family
Chris & Rebecca And Family

The dogs all seem concerned about DH.
Sandusky Marine MuseumSandusky Marine Museum
Sandusky Marine Museum

Hanging out with a big wheel.


17th December 2015

You do find some amusing places to visit! I can understand why DH stays in the vehicle at times!!!
17th December 2015

Americans certainly like LARGE meals!!!
17th December 2015

Are you serious a Hotdog Bun Museum?!!!! What will they think of next...an apple core museum?
17th December 2015

Russ would have loved to be there eating right alongside you!
18th December 2015

Ha Ha! Just love this pic. I've seen that look before.........Hugs
19th December 2015

I'd hate to see what is in the bedroom of your hosts if this was your bedroom decor!!! Yikes
19th December 2015

What no grits with that???
19th December 2015

Deb, you don't look all that excited to eat that dog.
22nd December 2015

So pretty!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb