The Center of North America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Dakota » Rugby
August 25th 2007
Published: August 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rugby was another stop on my way to the International Peace Garden. A stone monument in Rugby, North Dakota marks the geographical center of North America (the world's fourth largest continent). The location was marked in January 1931 by a US Geological Survey. A clever mileage chart tells you how far away Mexico and some other locations are.

Also located in Rugby is the Northern Lights Tower. According to the Dakota Day Trips book, the Tower is about 90 feet tall and depicts the four stages of the Aurora Borealis (Northern lights). It has multiple colors reflecting the lights one sees in the sky. We North Dakotans know that we are fortunate to often see the Northern lights. Located nearby is another tower which you can climb to get an aerial view of Rugby and the plains surrounding it.

Rugby is also home to a Bell Tower which has been constructed from bells from schools, churches and railroad steam engines. There are 15 bells in the 30 foot bell tower weighing about 8 tons all together. The Tower tolls every Sunday morning.

Again, another cute sidetrip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 106; dbt: 0.146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb