Day Three- June 16, 2010 Tampa to Montreal Tour


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left Topsail NC at 6am with many stops along the way, as we are overheating. We see a newspaper headline that says yesterday was over 102 degrees. They should try it sitting on a warm engine like the Packard!

Passed through New Bern, the birthplace of Pepsi-Cola 1989, and Washington NC, the original "Washington" founded in 1776.

Beautiful drive up US Hwy 17 but we are travelling slow and hope to make lunch on time!


206 miles/5.5 hours


Princess Anne, VA

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Rest., Town Center, Virginia Beach 12:30pm

Once again we just make it on time! Virginia Beach is beautiful, with a lovely metropolitan downtown center. Wonderful group of professionals and a delicious meal at a fine restaurant. It is tough to come out of a 5+ hour drive in the heat and look fresh as a daisy to speak to a Rotary Club, but we do the best we can!

We are parked in front of the restaurant on a brick paved sidewalk on display, and who should walk up but the President of the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) Terry Bond. Apparently he works in the area, and happened to be walking by and saw our car outside. We plan to visit Louisville KY in July for the 75th Anniversary of AACA with the Packard after this trip! That will make the total mileage for the Packard in one month over 3000!

Now we drive through a 23 mile system of underwater tunnels and bridges that cross the Chesapeake Bay. Really interesting, but with no emergency lanes in much of this stretch, we are hoping for the best with the Packard, and she delivers a reliable and safe passage---thank heavens!

190 miles/ 4 hours


Arrive 6:00pm

Camden- Wyoming, DE

Wild Quail Country Club, Rt. 52

6:30pm

We arrive just in time for cocktail hour! This is another beautiful country club with a gorgeous evening view. This is a lively group of friendly Rotarians who have a lot of fun at their meetings! Thanks Bob for bringing your 1963 Pontiac Convertible to the meeting, it was immaculate! And one owner...impressive!






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Princess Anne Rotary ClubPrincess Anne Rotary Club
Princess Anne Rotary Club

Virginia Beach, VA
First tunnelFirst tunnel
First tunnel

Under and over the Chesapeake Bay
First bridgeFirst bridge
First bridge

Under and over the Chesapeake Bay
Second tunnelSecond tunnel
Second tunnel

Under and over the Chesapeake Bay
Second BridgeSecond Bridge
Second Bridge

Under and over the Chesapeake Bay


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb