A Mid-Week Day Trip to Mount Airy, NC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Mount Airy
February 16th 2018
Published: February 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Dairy CenterDairy CenterDairy Center

Had to get a cobbler too while we were there!
Living in the Triad of North Carolina definitely has its perks. We are only a short 20-minute drive to Greensboro and Winston-Salem, and High Point is even closer. That said, since we’ve lived here our whole lives it can get a little monotonous to frequent the same spots time and again. So, when my husband got a day off of work in return for working overtime a little last week, we jumped at the chance to take a family day trip together.



Of course, as luck would have it, it rained almost the entire time we were gone, from the moment we left our door until we made it back that evening. It let up for about 30 minutes, but we were indoors eating lunch and didn’t get to enjoy the brief break of sunshine! We decided to load up the kids and head to Mount Airy, NC. This little town is outside of Winston-Salem, and its main claim to fame is that it is the birthplace of Andy Griffith, star of the Andy Griffith show! He has said that the fictional town of Mayberry, which serves as the setting of the show, was based on Mount Airy and you can definitely feel that from the downtown charm.




I don’t think I’ve ever been to Mount Airy when there hasn’t been some kind of antique car show going on, and this Wednesday was no different. Even in the drizzle, there were a few hot rods out on display for passersby to see. We quickly ducked into our favorite restaurant, Snappy Lunch, to grab one of their famous pork chop sandwiches. With a batter akin to a pancake, it’s definitely an acquired taste and I’ll admit I wasn’t immediately sold. Yet, I’ve eaten enough of them now that I actually really enjoy them, and I definitely appreciate how lean the meat is.




We couldn’t exactly stroll around like we usually do, and that was a little bit of a bummer, because we love to visit the antique and secondhand shops along the main road. We also enjoy seeing all the Mayberry decor and shops dedicated entirely to the show and its associated merchandise! Instead, we hurried into the used book store and let the kids play in the designated kids corner for a little while. They loved getting to sit on the beanbags and read a few new favorites, while my husband and I enjoyed perusing the titles and grabbing a coffee inside.




After that, we hopped back in the car and drove to the Dairy Center. It’s not on the main drag, but it’s definitely worth the two-minute drive and I highly recommend it. Though we had just finished lunch, my husband and I couldn’t resist their ground steak sandwiches. Served on a slider bun, they’re tiny and the perfect little snack. It’s basically ground beef seasoned with tons of black pepper, topped with a healthy portion of homemade slaw. Delicious! We also adore the Dairy Center’s thick, homemade milkshakes, so of course we had to grab one of those and share it as a family! Overall, we declared the trip a success! Though it felt more like a wild safari at times with the kids creating general chaos wherever we went, we made some special memories and we all arrived at home exhausted and ready for naps. I’m already looking forward to our next adventure as a little family! Whether it’s an overnight weekend or just a day trip a few cities away, traveling with those I love makes every trip incredible.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb