Gem Hunting


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Hiddenite
September 18th 2012
Published: September 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

July 5, 2010



Hiddenite Gems



was the first stop of our three mining experiences we had in North Carolina with my brother Bruce and his wife Mary.



Hiddenite Gems is north of Interstate 40 near Statesville. Although I'm sure people find this place on their own, we were lucky in that Bruce & Mary had been here before.



Let me just say in advance that you're not going to get rich quick. So, if that is your plan, try something else. But, if you're out for a good time, this is fairly cheap entertainment. Hiddenite Gems is definitely a place for family fun. The kids we saw "creeking" were having a great time. And I must say, for the experience, digging in the creek was alot of fun, even for a non-kid.



Admission when we went was only $5, and included a complimentary bucket of ore. Well, rocks and sand mostly. But for the kids they're sure to find some pretty rocks. Pay $8 though (and $1 for screen and trowel rental), and head off to the creek. Dig and sift all day to your heart's content for that valuable gem, or a bagful of pretty rocks. Kinda like walking along the beach picking up shells, only wetter and more fun.



If you are a more serious gem hunter than you will want to purchase a five gallon bucket of "enriched" ore and take it to the sluice. They have a popular $10 bucket. For the really serious, you can spend up to $100 and get the "Cutter's Choice" bucket. In this bucket you are guaranteed to find a gem that can be cut.



We didn't purchase any buckets here at Hiddenite, as we had two more stops in our mining quest. We primarily came for the creeking experience. The folks that run this place were super friendly, and they like kids. So, if you find yourself near Statesville, North Carolina on a sunny day, and the kids are asking "Are we there yet?", pull off for a of couple hours and enjoy digging for ore and pretty rocks in the creek at Hiddenite. I think you'll have as much fun as we did without kids. (Oh, by the way, wear old shoes you don't mind getting wet and muddy.)



Emerald Village



was our second stop. You'll find Emerald Village off the beaten path near Little Switzerland, North Carolina, closer to Ashville.



According to the gem identification chart we were given when we checked in, there are 54 gems and minerals actually found in the mines of Emerald Village. Kaolin. Oligoclase. Sphalerite. Euxenite. Are you kidding me!?!? Now I have heard of emeralds, garnets, rubies, and aquamarines so all was not lost.



We purchased two buckets of ore. One was enriched with emeralds, and the other was a mixture. (Total cost on the day of our trip: $75. The rule of thumb seemed to be: if it's white, it's a rock, toss it away. Keep anything of color. Just as at Hiddenite, the kids seemed to be having a blast. It took a good long time to sift through a five gallon bucket of ore.



My biggest complaint about sitting at the sluice is it's murder on your back! Well, maybe not if you're 8, but 58! Yet, still, we did have fun.



They advertise a black light nighttime underground tour on Friday and Saturday night. We were there on a Monday. They also have a museum and gift shop. So if you don't find that perfect piece of emerald in your bucket, (which we didn't), buy it already mounted in a ring.

Gem Mountain

was the last stop on our mining adventure.

We bought a bucket of ore for $80, which included one cutting worth $45. After screening our bucket, we had four small bags of various gems. The staff in the gift/jewelry shop then divided our finds into cuttable gems. We decided to have one of the rubies cut. We were required to pay an additional $12 for shipping. You could also have had your gem set into a piece of jewelry, as did my sister-in-law.

If you are more interested in finding, cutting, and having your gems mounted into jewelry, this was definitely the best of the places we visited for having that done. Our ruby was appraised for $650. Not bad for our $92 investment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb