Chasing Hurricane Florence


Advertisement
Published: October 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

It seems like we were not home for long until we got the call out to go to work the Hurricane, Hurricane Florence that is.

I had photos spread over the dining room table and Dale had wheels off the Ferrari. We had to put everything back together, pack, clean the RV and get out. This time we had a few more days to get ready so we didn’t have to throw everything together.

Driving to Atlanta, the site of the induction, took longer than we’d wanted to take. It didn’t help that we bought some bad fuel along the way and limped into the next repair shop. But as it turned out, they knew exactly the problem and we were on our way within an hour.

Inductions are always fun, we get to see everyone we haven’t seen since the last storm. We take the time to catch up with everyone. Some people keep contact even between storms, but it is fun to see them.

It was here in Atlanta where we realized that we realized we had a slight problem. On the road, a truck pulled up next to us and was pointing to the
A Rest Stop with No Overnight ParkingA Rest Stop with No Overnight ParkingA Rest Stop with No Overnight Parking

We wondered why we were the only ones parked here overnight
rear. We pulled over on the shoulder and I ran back. I didn’t see anything, and we went on down the road. Well, what the guy was likely pointing to was, the cap on the bumper fell off allowing the sewer hose to fly out. The sewer hose, while taking off to the wild blue yonder, hit the license plate holder so that went flying away as well. So, we had no sewer hose or license plate.

The hurricane hit land as a very weak storm, it was mostly a water event. I was put onto a flood team, but those claims turned out to be wind damage and the flood damages were likely mostly small claims, as few homeowners have flood insurance here.

I did get some claims for fast food chains and those will go on for a while. But for the most part, there wasn’t much work to go around and it was over before it started.

Our excitement consisted of a cat-rescue. I was working outside at our picnic table for a change from the RV. A couple in a motorhome pulled into the site next to ours. The man was very nice,
On the Ladder to SuccessOn the Ladder to SuccessOn the Ladder to Success

Or on the ladder to access the roof
talking when he was hooking up the electrical, water and dump. The woman leaned out the driver’s window to say hi.

Not long after the woman yells to me out of the window, “Please come quick, get your husband, come quick, we need help” I yelled to Dale to come quickly and we ran into the neighbors RV.

The neighbors had a huge cat that got stuck inside the bed frame. The cat was quite distressed. The man was trying to tear apart the bed frame when we got into the rear bedroom. Dale helped with trying to disassemble the bed but then they realized that the frame was welded together, and it would not come apart.

The man wanted to try cutting the frame but Dale in a very calm voice said to let him try. He worked with the cat to get it onto it’s back and slowly pulled the cat out, inch by inch. We all were holding our breath.

The woman said that they had no children and the cat was their fur baby. They were both crying and loving on their cat when we left their RV.



Hopefully, they plug the hole that the cat used to get under the bed. It probably was not a happy traveler. But we were happy that we could help someone with a pet so important to their lives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb