Should We Go or Should We Stay


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Asheville
September 2nd 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.5984, -82.5531

Overnight, I woke up about once an hour and looked outside to see if it was raining yet. Hermine has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but the weather report still shows she is going to mess up our plans to visit the Outer Banks. It was hard for us desert-dwellers to make a decision about staying while the storm passed over the area or leaving before it got any closer. We finally decided to leave Charleston without having seen much of it at all and take the highway that runs perpendicular to the coast to get away from the effects of Hermine as soon as we could. I was concerned that even though the wind was going to be manageable, we were on the end of a peninsula in an area that was below sea-level and might flood. I don't know if our car was parked above flood level or not.

Asheville, North Carolina, was out of the range of the rain so we headed there for the night. The drive was about four hours long with rain and some wind for the first three stressful hours of it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb