Biltmore Estate, Asheville, North Colina


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Asheville
November 3rd 2009
Published: November 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Garden Scene BiltmoreGarden Scene BiltmoreGarden Scene Biltmore

Love how the oval opening in this pergola's lattice frames a caretaker's cottage
Asheville, NC --- This little corner of North Carolina near the Tennesee border is beautiful; a fact not lost on George Vanderbilt, who built his stunning and LARGE retreat near Asheville. It rivals other massive and elaborate American and European homes we have oogled. The landscaping, by Frederick Law Olmsted, is amazing and true to its original design. The house tour is very well organized, we opted for earphones and a recorded tour and are happy we did. We had lunch at the Bistro on the grounds of the estate near the winery. An interesting winery tour and wine tasting were included in our two day pass. The gardens were still beautiful in early November; although they must be smashing here in June! The gardeners and floral staff were busily getting ready for Christmas. When you have 240 rooms to decorate you start decking the halls early. It was fun to see the boxes of ornaments and roping all over the place --- just like home - on a larger scale. Photos were not allowed inside the mansion. I would have loved to shoot some digital, especially of the interior sunroom The Winter Garden and dozens of Christmas trees and decorated mantles. The upcoming season brings many very special Holiday events - candlelight tours, etc. that must be lovely. The art collected by George Vanderbile included two precious Renoirs (of young girls) in the breakfast room. There were Whistlers and Sergeants and tons of engraved prints and tapestry throughout the home. Despite its size and elegance; Biltmore seemed homey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Looking Toward Smokies from BiltmoreLooking Toward Smokies from Biltmore
Looking Toward Smokies from Biltmore

George Vanderbilt took advantage of great scenery 360 degrees. This view is framed by Chinese wisteria.
Biltmore Wine CellarBiltmore Wine Cellar
Biltmore Wine Cellar

There is a winery on the estate. Free wine tasting; we didn't find anything to our choosing. The owneres of the estate, heirs of George Vanderbilt, art trying to keep the mansion preserved for perpetuity through appropriate sustainable agricultural activities, tours, etc.
Mums BiltmoreMums Biltmore
Mums Biltmore

Even in November, the mums formed a colorful quilt!
Orchids in the ConservatoryOrchids in the Conservatory
Orchids in the Conservatory

The green house is still a working conservatory; supplying plants and flowers for Biltmore.
Conservatory Conservatory
Conservatory

This was amazing...I think I would like a conservatory!
Our View Bear Creek RV ParkOur View Bear Creek RV Park
Our View Bear Creek RV Park

North Carolina is beautiful --- much like upstate NY!


4th November 2009

response
....Robin and I were in Ashville a few years back ,to go gem mining....beautiful there...looks and sounds like a great time....(ps hey Wes you gotta bring back some samples from that wine cellar!)
8th November 2009

Largest home in the United States
If I am not mistaken, the Biltmore is the largest home in the United States. The Ashvillve area alone is enough beauty to keep in awe for a long while. When you add the Biltmore in the mix this area is even more pristine than many more popular U.S. area.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb