Pre-Trip Planning


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Watertown
March 19th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Update from Patrick (aka O.D.)

Been heavy into Thru Hike prep for the past two weeks. We have done some conditioning hikes with about half trail weight packs. Some on the roads and one on a walking trail in Clayton. We have done quite a bit of food prep with dehydration and vacuum packing. We are taking store bought meals in bags like "Lipton Noodles" that are flavored and bags, removing them from the original bag.. Then we place it in a vacuum meal bag and add our own dehydrated veggies, meat and maybe a spice or two. Then vacuum pack it to reduce the space taken up in our pack and keep it weather proof. The next step will be setting up each mail resupply box with the needed meals and any other things we might need along that stretch of trail like maps or new socks. We are still on track for an April 1st departure from Harpers Ferry. We have been reading some of the posts of others who have already started the hike in Georgia, appears that some are more prepared than we and other less so. I feel we are in the middle of the preparedness scale and will do alright.

Thoughts from Deborah (aka C.C.)

Man oh man it is getting closer and closer to our start date. I have been having fun working on the food preparation and wondering if we will have enough of the right stuff in the right place at the right time. The conditioning walks have been a little tough, Patrick walks a little too fast at times and my knees are still a real concern of mine. Any of you who have a regular prayer list, please put me and my knees on it. I have had a lot of fun trying to keep my accidental "Color Coordination" of clothing and gear going. So far it has worked out so well I will be quite camouflaged while on the trail. Seeing all the fresh snow here makes me all the more ready to head south for the trail and warmer temperatures.

"All Who Wander Are Not Lost"


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th March 2007

Did this work?
Pat and Deborah... This is my third attempt... Checking if I have the system down... -as prescribed by Matthew... -Dick

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb