Security Tips For Tourists


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
July 27th 2015
Published: July 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Traveling around the world is probably one of the most exciting activities ever. No wonder that millions of people make it their hobby and travel as much as they can. However, there are numerous threats a tourist may face in an unfamiliar place. These situations range from ordinary issues (like catching a cold) to serious and even life threatening ones (like getting into an accident). To reduce the chances of facing such problems, it makes sense to take a few precautions, before you travel and while you are on vacation:
1. Plan Your Trip Beforehand


Everyone wants to have fun during their travel, but poor planning can ruin the vacation. That’s why it is important to make a research about the places you are going to visit and plan the route in advance. Learn a bit about the local laws of the places where you are going to travel. If you don’t know the language of the country you are going to, do your best to learn the most important phrases that will help you out (e.g. “Where am I?”, “How do I get to this location?” and such).

To prevent (sublet) apartment or car lockout, always have a local locksmith service contact at hand as well. Do you need to take any medications? Then you should have prescriptions for them, because some countries do not allow keeping them without a prescription.

Make sure you have all the required documents within reach, all the time. These include your passport, travel papers, tickets and visas, as well as their copies. If you travel by car, make sure your driver’s license is valid in the location you are going to. If you rent an apartment - keep the address details within reach. Find out some local emergency phone numbers (police, firefighters and ambulance) and save them in the contacts list in your cell phone.


2. Take Care Of Your Health

The importance of your health condition should never be ignored, no matter which country you are planning to visit. Keep in mind that some countries may expose you to specific diseases that are uncommon in your local area. Find out more about the conditions that may affect your health and consult a doctor if necessary. If you have health insurance, find out whether it covers you abroad. If not, then it makes sense to get a traveler’s health insurance policy, to stay on the safe side while you are on a vacation.

3. Secure Your Valuables

It goes without saying that taking valuable and pricey items doesn’t make any sense when going on a vacation. If you still have to take expensive possessions, such as apparel, jewelry or electronic devices, keep them in a hotel safe when you leave the room. Are you going to travel by car? Then keep your valuable out of strangers’ sight.

When carrying cash or credit cards along, try to keep them in several places (like your jacket and pants pockets, a money belt, a purse or a wallet). Even if you meet a pickpocket, you will still keep a part of your belongings safe.

4.Secure Yourself and Your Loved Ones


Crimes happen worldwide, so do your best to secure yourself and your loved ones. If you don’t wish to fall a victim of a crime, consider the following recommendations:

. Always travel with your friends or family members. Traveling alone increases your chances to be attacked.

. Never share your personal info with unknown people

. Do your best to interact with strangers only in public places

. If you have to take a taxi, only use the service of a licensed taxi driver

. When traveling by train, always lock your compartment, especially at night



Hopefully, these recommendations will help you avoid all kinds of threats during your vacation and get the most fun out of it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.4kb