New York, New York!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
August 5th 2012
Published: August 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Chrysler Building to left & Empire State to right!Chrysler Building to left & Empire State to right!Chrysler Building to left & Empire State to right!

From our room up on the 28th floor, not a bad view :)
So, from London to New York 😊

First, down to London and a great Saturday at Earls Court! Two cracking 5-set matches saw Italy steal the win from the Aussies, and Russia do the same to the US teams. A bit up in the gods, but a great view, and over 5 hours of play. And we got to hold an Olympic Flame, yeah!

Next up an overnight in Uxbridge and an early start to get to LHR for a 7am checkin. United flight good, huge entertainment choice, and even arrived 15 minutes early 😊

Sadly no one had told Newark to expect us (apparently!) so an hour wasted sat on the runway followed by a very slow crawl through immigration. Still, met the Honduran Soccer Team.....had to point out we watched their 0-0 draw with Japan in Coventry on Wednesday, and it wasn't the most entertaining match 😉

All taken in good spirit (perhaps 'cos their English was only just better than Stephen's Spanish!), and I didn't fancy their chances of making their connection to Housten then Honduras !

Anyway, once out we immediately knew we were Stateside on account of the Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts......and boy, it's hot out here!

So we took the adventurers challenge of using the train to the City, and managed it just fine, a fast way to get from Newark right to Penn Station. Got streetside and Stephen recognised the New Yorker.

Funny thing was waiting to check-in & seeing Olympic volleyball on a TV in the bar.....less than 24 hours after we were there watching it!

Up to the 28th floor to a wickedly air conditioned room and nice view over the City. Where we also discovered that the TSA, bless their hearts, clearly looked through one of our bags, and stole.....the TSA approved lock. Nice touch.....

Now resting (laughing at Cartoon Network Adventure Time) before we head out to the heat for a walk and light tea.....lots to fit in tomorrow!

Great to see Andy Murray won the Men's Gold!

(update) bit of a hike to see Macy's, then down Broadway to see the "first skyscraper", the Flatiron Building: very stylish! Probably hiked a bit far, all tired now...amusing to catch the NBC Olympic coverage.....hard to believe any countries other than the US are taking part!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb