New York, dinosaurs, dragons and helicopter rides


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
November 8th 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well I think I can confidently say that New York would have to be our favourite city that we've visited so far. Apart from the bloody cold temperatures, it was really easy to get around (having the streets numbered might not be too imaginative, but it makes it virtually impossible to get lost!), people were friendly (we didnt get gunned down in Harlem), and there was just so much to see.

We actually stayed out of New York in Stamford, Connecticut, with a friend of ours from UNI, Megan. From Connecticut it was only a 45 minute commute on the local train to Grand Central Station.

The first day we checked out the Empire state builidng, Trump Tower, walked down Broadway and 42nd street to get to Times square. We also walked through part of central park (it was bloody freezing that day), went to the American Museum of natural history (saw all the dinosaur bones, which was just amazing!), ate hotdogs from street side vendors, oh and of course donuts too! We also went to Schwarz, the big toy store thats in the movie 'Big', where Tom Hanks is a little boy/grown up....the one with the piano to dance on.....unfortunately Anna couldn't get a go because there was too many little kids on it!

The next day saw us catch the subway waaay down town to 'ground zero', the site where the twin towers once stood. From ground zero we walked down Wall St and saw the American Stock Exchange.....and then we went on a helicopter ride over the city! We didn't plan it at all, we were just walking towards the ferry to see the statue of liberty, when we passed the helicopter tours people asking if we wanted a ride. We decided that if we were ever going to have a helicopter ride, over New York city would be one of the best places for it. We had to leave our bags behind (not enough room in the cabin to escape if she ditches in the Hudson River apparently....which was a comforting thought), we were strapped with lifejackets, and away we went. Richard managed to grab the front seat up with the pilot, which was great for catching the best photos. We flew down to the George Washington Bridge, over Central park, down the Hudson with an amazing view across the city, and finally out round the Statue of Liberty (which involved one slightly stomach churning up and over steep turn).

Megan took us for a tour around the Stamford area on another morning. We were there just at the right time to see the amazing fall colours on the trees. The most dramatic we've ever seen.

Next stop California.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Anna picking up accessories in the Butterfly HouseAnna picking up accessories in the Butterfly House
Anna picking up accessories in the Butterfly House

Museum of Natural History. This butterfly wouldnt leave her alone and stayed attached for over 5 minutes.
This is the view that a 20min chopper ride gets you!!This is the view that a 20min chopper ride gets you!!
This is the view that a 20min chopper ride gets you!!

Empire state building with Chrysler building behind
You also see thisYou also see this
You also see this

Central Park
..and this..and this
..and this

Downtown Manhattan
then this, not bad, not  bad at allthen this, not bad, not  bad at all
then this, not bad, not bad at all

Statue of Liberty with Manhattan island on right


22nd November 2007

Hey!
Hi guys! Looks like you're still having a great trip :) Lovely fall colours and neat shots from the chopper! Summer's getting pretty bloody hot back here so enjoy the cold weather while you can! Hugs, Kate

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb