Second Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
July 13th 2005
Published: July 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hi Folks,

Today's pace didn't let up much but at least we got to really sleep for the first time since Sunday night. It really lat now so I'll put off posting more pics until tomorrow but a brief recap of the day goes like this. Rise and shine to go over to Murray and Lore's for a fabulous breakfast of bagels, lox, sable, and fresh fruit. They were headed back to Pennsylvania so we wanted to see them before they left. Then Judy drove us to Queens where we visited the cemetery. I forgot all my info on where people are buried so we just saw our own grandparents but will have to go back to locate the others we were going to look for. Then we met Jason Hecht at his mom's on 137th St and the kids saw the house where I grew up directly across the street. We of course had to eat again so we went down to Jewel Ave and had schwarmas and felafels at a place called Grill Point. What's a schwarma? I had to ask. It's much like a Gyro but in a Pita instead of rolled in a flatbread, the meat shaved off a large vertically rotating spit. Then we took a quick tour of what used to be Flushing. It still is I guess, but the ethnic diversity is amazing. We saw things I never saw when I lived there like the Bowne House and the Old Quaker meeting House, both built in the 1600's and still there and operating. We went by the Free Synagogue of Flushing which was locked up tight but the sign in front showed that Rabbi Charles Agin, who did my Bar Mitzvah 42 years ago, is still there. The drive back to the city over the Triborough Bridge took us through Harlem, which is really looking better these days, past Columbia University and many other upper west side landmarks, including Tom's, the Seinfeld Restaurant. We got back just in time to catch the subway to Canal St to meet Sue's Aunt Ann and all her cousins. Uncle Craig was there as well as Paul's girlfriend Crissy. Craigo and Erika rounded out the group as we chowed down on fantastic Thai food. The subway got us back to Judy's by about 11:00 and then we looked at old documents of my grandparents arrival and naturalization in ths country. Tomorrow we're on our own, as Judy leaves for Michigan, so we'll see if we can pace ourselves for the long haul. Tomorrow evening there's a Klezmer/Bluegrass group playing at the Jewish museum, so that's where we hope to end up but before that?........stay tuned.

Advertisement



14th July 2005

How amazing your rabbi is still at your schul. What a great experience for the kids.
15th July 2005

What, No Argument?
Roy - you neglected to note the engaging dialogue between Judy and the Waitress!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb