NYC-CYN


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Brooklyn
August 31st 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

As the earthquake wasn't enough, i thought i would chase a hurricane and head to New York city.
I arrived literally in time to catch the 'very' last train available to get to my destination (the plush abode of my friend Shannons brother in Brooklyn).
Thus meaning i soon got cabin fever, as they had stopped all public transport within the city for the "hurricane'.
Waking up the next day to apparently get the brunt of the hurricane, it appeared that i slept through it all and, well it was a non event really.
The metro started running again on monday, so i headed straight out to the Brooklyn bridge. Walked across it took some photos and continued on up north on Manhattan island, up Broadway & fifth ave stopping off along the way at the various sights until i hit the Rockafella center.
Took so many photos it's not funny. You feel so little when walking down 5th ave or broadway, as the buildings are all so high and daunting. As you get closer to the city, you see the empire states building towering over everything. Ive never seen anything like it, was great to actually see it in person, and not on tv or a in book.
NYC is so amazing, its so lively and happening, with so much to do, but not enough time to do it all. After a long day of wandering around the main drags (5th ave and Broadway) i headed off to see the Mets play baseball and kick Florida's ass.
Tuesday I woke early, to head to the statue of liberty early and skip the long lines. However on my morning internet check (lucky i did check) i realised my ticket for the Us open were for tues and not wed as i had thought. Soooo my statue plans were put on hold and i was off to the tennis. Only to get there and see that our only kiwi hopeful was playing. Being the compatriot that i am i watched her lose (sadly, was close game) then headed on to the main court to catch me some world number one action and see Djokovic play.
Was a great day, and hard to believe that after growing up watching it on tv i was actually there. Watched some great games, and saw some great players, topping it off by meeting an ex world number one Amelie Mauresmo. After been all tennis'd out (after watching 9 hours of play).... i went home to get some much needed sleep for my take two day of statue visiting.




Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.047s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb