Obamamania and the end of an era


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Brooklyn
November 4th 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

First stop New York City



Captains log: 04/11/08

America's first black president, Barak Obama. There was dancing and general whooping in Williamsburg, New York Stylee.

We stayed with our friends Sascha and Lilah (S+L) after leaving Terry the tooth in Jamaica Station, Sascha and Lilah's bar - the Lucky cat was in the midst of closing, to end an era of Williamsburg becoming hip.
We were fortunate to be there when S+L were starting up the place 6 Years ago buying thrift furniture in the fat lands of New Jersey when it wasn't cool to do so.
Now we were drinking Patron tequilla in a full bar in a trendy street where there once were no other bars or shops - now it even has a Paul Smith shop!!!

Only in the Lucky Cat could you have had burlesque life drawing in the morning and Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in the evening with Mexican Drag queens and Cumbia electro the night following and our final blowout night featured the Budos Band playing a funked up brand of ethiopian influenced grooves.

There never was a quiet moment in that bar all the while we were there and we had a great time, Sascha and Lilah's hospitality was so welcoming at such a busy time for them - we are only sorry that we came as it was all ending but glad we were there for the end too.

Long live the Lucky cat.

Whilst Marcel was nursing hangovers Karen managed to see some culture, with visits to MOMA and the New museum, highlights were Mircea Canton's film - Deeparture.

The New museum's building was great but the Peyton exhibition was not our thing. The New museum curatoral approach was interesting linking five international galleries with one artist.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb