Visiting "The Mayor" again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New Paltz
October 31st 2009
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are not on the trail right now, however I do travel near the AT while driving my 18 wheeler. I was lucky enough to have a layover night near Unionville, NY. While on the trail this year CC and I spent a wonderful night at "The Mayor's House." He provides hikers a shower, laundry and two super meals asking nothing in return other than to share your hike with him. I popped in with a bag of dirty laundry and stakes for supper. To my surprise there were four southbound hikers spending the night. We put the stakes in the freezer and all shared fine baked chicken. Dick (The Mayor), Bill and Butch his two helpers were all happy to see a hiker return for just a friendly visit. It was not the trail, but it was a trail fix for me. The only thing missing was CC could not be there with us. To date they have hosted over 850 hikers this year with more every day. Last year they were hiker free for only January and February.
We are working on our plan for the 2010 hiking season. Thanks again to everyone for following us. Have a joyous and blessed holiday season. We look forward to the next hike as much as all of you.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb