The East End of Long Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Montauk
October 29th 2013
Published: October 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Oyster PondOyster PondOyster Pond

A natural fishing hole
The deadline for our inspections to be completed was early Monday morning and since there were fewer of us at the end, we were working fast to finish up. But we all finished in the nick of time.

About 1 week before work ended I sent for my granddaughter, Bel. Bel is being home schooled this year so it seemed like something good. Bel could help out a little, do her school work when I’d be working and then we could spend a little time at the end just playing around New York.

Bel flew into JFK, fortunately while I was staying at the Marriott as it was lots closer to JFK than the Clarion. She helped keep the room organized, looked for restaurants while on the road and of course did her work. After finishing up on Monday we went to lunch with a couple of other adjusters; just had to clear the head a bit, then we went and started getting ready for home.

On Tuesday we drove out to Montauk Point Lighthouse, located on the easternmost point of Long Island.

On the way to the lighthouse there are lookouts, one the Oyster Pond. The
A View to the EastA View to the EastA View to the East

A view of the ocean and the light house
Oyster Pond is a natural pond within the bay. The water fills it when the tides come and then fish are trapped inside when the tide goes out. The Indians would catch fish in it.

Another lookout is Hither Overlook. http://www.hike-li.org/hitherhills.htm We did not know anything about this lookout, just stopped to see what the view was. Wow, we had the ocean on 2 sides and it was breathtaking.

Once at the lighthouse we paid our $8 and went on the self guided tour. http://www.montauklighthouse.com/ The lighthouse was authorized by President George Washington and completed in 1796. Surrounding buildings are newer and the ground has eroded behind the lighthouse. The erosion is quite a concern and there is a movement to stabilize the ground so that the lighthouse is not lost. There is a display which shows the lighthouse at the time of completion and the keeper’s house, then 3 more displays showing a display for every 100 years or so.

The 1860 Keeper’s house is now a museum next to the lighthouse. There are lots of old original documents on the lighthouse and various commissions who Ok’d the work which are located in the house. After
Montauk Light houseMontauk Light houseMontauk Light house

The light house and keeper's house
the museum we then walked up the 137 narrow steps to the top of the lighthouse. The light is operated by the Coast Guard so that part is off limits but there is a small lookout at the top of the house. One can see Connecticut across the bay.



On the way home we found a farm selling warm fresh corn. So tasty!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb