Winter in New York!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Long Island
March 17th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last I wrote we were off to the Caribbean and we are now in New York, not quite as lush and tropical. Let me give you the brief rundown of the events from the past month.

We flew to St. Martin to buy a particular boat from the owner. We offered to give a deposit, but he said no, just come over. In less than 2 days we were there and just loved the boat....After we looked around for an hour or so the guys tells us that he just accepted a deposit from someone else. We were pretty mad, since we had an agreement and he basically lied to us.

Then we flew to the Dominican Republic. We went to see a great boat, an Otremer which is like the lambrogini of sailboats. Unfortunately the boat needed ALOT of work. It looks like the owner hired some local guys to paint the deck (which first of all you just don't do) and it looked like they just grabbed a can of white paint and a brush. It looked awful and made this otherwise great boat look really cheap. In addition the owner was a very volatile Italian, he already had 3 deals break up. Plus the fact that this is the DR, it all seems too complicated, sketchy and expensive, so we passed on that.

Then we flew to Florida again to look at a very nice boat, but unfortunately it had some water damage to the hulls, so we were passing on it for now. So we hightailed it up to Savannah Georgia to look at another one. It was in much worse shape than what the owner stated, so again we were disappointed. Then back to Florida to look at another boat, a Catana, which we loved and made an offer. They accepted and then we arranged for the survey and haul-out. The survey went really bad, lots of water damage to the hulls, so we just called it off right then and then and didn't even continue with the haul out.

Now at a loss of what to do and where to go we stayed in our room a few days searching for something else. Dave noticed a PDQ catamaran up in New York that was an exceptionally good deal. I forgot to mention at some point back in Florida we bought a cheap little Geo Prism for $500. We hoped it could get us to New York, so we loaded her up and off we went. We saw the boat, made an offer and took possession in 2 days!! So we are the proud new owners of a PDQ. Since we moved aboard on Friday we have been frantically cleaning, detailing and organizing. The only problem now is that we are in New York, and it's ughhh WINTER!!!

Advertisement



18th March 2008

roughing it in NY
Kathy, Congrats on the new boat purchase. You know you are going to get a goof buy if you are buying a boat in NY in Winter. And you knowwhat, you need a little winter to remind you of the paradise you have been living in!!! Enjoy and good luck with the new boat. Steve

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb