Lobster rolls and waves - Hamptons - October 2015 through February 2021


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » East Hampton
February 2nd 2017
Published: April 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lobster RollLobster RollLobster Roll

You get a good amount of meat
I have had some short blogs in the past but this one might just turn out to be the shortest of them all. If you go in a straight line the Hamptons is only about 20 miles away from us - the problem is there is a sound right in between us so it takes about 3 - 4 hours to get there by car. Unfortunately we have not gone there as much as we would like to.

We have made a couple short trips over the years. In the summer it is pretty hard to find a parking spot close to any of the beaches because it is pretty much mostly permit parking in the local municipalities. I spent my fair share of summers in the Hamptons so I have a couple tricks up my sleeve. The first stop was the LOBSTER ROLL in between Montauk and Amagansett. For many years I taught tennis right down the road from it (literally a stones-throw away) and never went. I was probably too poor to afford the prices (no it is not that expensive), but more likely I was just not smart enough or mature enough to appreciate the institution that is the Lobster Roll. We sat down on a hot, sunny summer day and started with refreshments followed by CLAM CHOWDER (pretty good) and LOBSTER ROLLS. The lobster rolls were top-notch as they should have been for the price. We concluded with a nice big piece of PIE - strawberry rhubarb none-the-less. Not my favorite type of pie at all but when you are married you learn to accept any pie the wife wants. It was a good meal and well worth the price of admission.

One of the tricks I had up my sleeve is that right up the road from the Lobster Roll (right by the tennis club where I use to teach) you are able to just park next to the road without any passes or permits. Then it is about a 2 minute walk down a little road as you wind between condos and walla - long stretches of mostly deserted and empty white BEACHES. I honestly don't recall if this was the little guy's very first beach experience but if not it was the 2nd (pretty sure it was the first because we took way too many pictures). Everest was pretty apprehensive at first
Lobster RollLobster RollLobster Roll

They do fill it right to the top
as I assume most babies would be because the waves and white foam can be pretty intimidating for a 7 month old. He soon warmed up and was all over the sand and the water. Just a typical day in the Hamptons.

I have previously written about our wine experiences in the North Fork. We do love a good vineyard with a tasting room and just standing around talking to the servers. We had a wedding to attend and found a babysitter for Everest so we figured we would make a day out of it and have some adult time. Nikkie was starving so I told her to find a nice restaurant for lunch. She looked and looked and finally found one to her liking. Winding roads we followed making left turns and right turns. And finally we arrived at Pure - the restaurant of a local golf club. All we could do was bust out laughing. We made our way in and had a couple local beers with burgers and fries. We love food but we generally tend to stay away from golf club/ hotel restaurants, but this one was a pleasant surprise.

Next stop was the
Lobster RollLobster RollLobster Roll

Refreshments
vineyards - MACARI VINEYARDS. The wine was fine but man the tasting was expensive. If I recall correctly it was close to $15 for three small pours so that kind of puts a sour taste in your mouth, but none-the-less we had our adult fun and got some inventory for the future.

And yeah that is it. Not much in the way of the good, the bad and any advice. Pretty much the same as in the previous blogs.

Nothing to check off from our list so still stuck at 341 down and 5,440 to go.

Til next time from new wine country and old road-side restaurants


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

HamptonsHamptons
Hamptons

Beach fun
HamptonsHamptons
Hamptons

Run dad!!!!!!!!!
HamptonsHamptons
Hamptons

He better appreciate this because beaches don't happen a lot
HamptonsHamptons
Hamptons

Vineyards
HamptonsHamptons
Hamptons

Wedding time


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb