Sleeping On Route 66


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Tucumcari
January 24th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.1786, -103.725

We were told that senior citizens tend to get up pretty early in the morning so we made sure that we started our first full day on the 65 Years Young Birthday Tour before the crack of dawn and we were in our vehicle at 5:00am. Where we going at this early hour? Well, despite our many years together, DH has not always picked up on my inherent sensitivity and this was a case in point. I had picked the very sedate sport of star gazing the night before but DH was adamant that, for his birthday, we take Dave B for a balloon ride over Albuquerque (home of the world famous Albuquerque Balloon Festival)- this despite the fact that Dave has a well advertised fear of heights (and, as a newly minted senior citizen, less bladder control??). The secret to making this happen was to not tell him what was about to happen and to simply show up at a frigid empty field and wait for a guy with a trailer. By the time Dave figured out what was happening, the warmest spot available was inside the basket next to the hot air source (the burner, not DH).

We were up in time to see a beautiful New Mexico sunrise. Maybe it was the quiet, smooth journey but the sky high altitudes didn't seem to be much of an issue and even Dave was leaning out of the basket in order to get photos. The winds blew us back and forth over Albuquerque causing our chase vehicle all kinds on angst but eventually, over an empty lot, our pilot dropped a rope and let the chase team plus a local pull us down to earth.

Back on terra firma we spent some serious highway time along Route 66 as we looked to give the Killer B's a sampling of the fun we had been experiencing. We started with an after-ballooning- breakfast at a 60's style diner (ballooning was obviously not a stomach turning adventure for either of the Killer B's as Dave ordered something called a 'Pile-Up', and Deb ordered a pancake portion that would feed a high school football team), and we hit a number of quirky stops, gas stations, restaurants, auto museums, and motels. The road even sang to us- there's a short section of Route 66 with carved grooves that will play part of "America the Beautiful" -- but only if you travel the speed limit: 45 mph. Freaky!

The Killer B's seemed to enjoy the time travel and they particularly liked the stuck-in-the-60's Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari… until they found out that we were staying there for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 116, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



17th February 2016

if you jump on I-10 to go to Palm Springs you can also stop in Tonopah, on the way there you might want to stop in Tucson, a wonderful place, and that way you will only have to visit Tehachapi. Willin'.
17th February 2016

Love the delightfully tacky retro! Looks like you guys are having a blast! How cold is it, though? This weekend it's going up to 11 degrees Celsius here!
17th February 2016

hi there I see you have been busy, great pics and one day hope to do a hot air balloon ride. take care big hug.
17th February 2016

Passionate! The machine doesn't lie! Lucky you Deb!
18th February 2016

Hey now be fair, I only ate 1/2 those pancakes, I think! Loved that Blue Swallow.
18th February 2016

Cute as ever Deb
26th February 2016

Did that phone offer dial up internet?
26th February 2016

A gorgeous neon sign!!, the most beautiful to date. We hope that your stay there was as memorable; love machine predictions and all!

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb