Day One under our belts!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Taos
September 19th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was full of travel for Team Taos. Many of us had to take two flights and then 2.5 hrs in the car getting to Taos. But we were so excited to finally be together and.....to get a good night's sleep. 😊

Monday morning found a group of intrepid explorers up at the crack of dawn walking for an hour and half in 39 degree weather (they are Amber and Diane's heroes). By 8:30am we were all ready to begin our work. Our plans changed a little bit and we found ourselves working in Taos today (as opposed to Questa where we had originally thought we would be). Today's work consisted on 99% of our team up on a roof - tearing up the top covering and insulation. Our family was having problems with a leaky roof and so we jumped in to investigate. Your two fearless bloggers (Diane & Amber) bravely volunteered to handle all the insulation and roofing that was being tossed down to the GROUND. Not only were we adopted by the family living in this house but also by the neighbor's kitten - Baby (a sweet little calico girl).

The group had the opportunity to push themselves out of their comfort zones....spending the day up on roof, using power tools, and getting used to the high altitude here. After a couple disastrous attempts to get water up to our teammates, Diane learned the art of backwards throwing water bottles up to Rudi who was always the sure handed catcher.

The team spent a nice dinner/evening catching up and learning more about the local Habitat for Humanity affiliate. And, the grand surprise at the end of the night was Lonnie FINALLY getting her luggage @ 9:00 pm. What a trooper...and stylish too.

The home owner was very appreciative of our work today and we look forward to getting to know them in the upcoming days. Keep watching our blog, we hope to have some pictures updated soon!

Advertisement



20th September 2011

Day One
Keep up the good work guys! It's a once in a lifetime chance to do something like this!
20th September 2011

Super Day!
Congratulations on making it through Day One! Did you find all those muscles you haven't used in awhile?! :) Way to be focused and flexible, too -- a sure sign that you're a great Thrivent Builds Worldwide team! P.S. to Rudi, so glad to hear you\'re the water boy!
20th September 2011

kittens?
Reading this Sunday entry, I can't help but notice the scribe mention a kitten... Hmmmm, could this be Amber writing?!?? At any rate, we on Amber's team are very proud of all of you -keep up the great momentum & heartfelt goodwill! Keep us posted!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb