Gallup to Tucumcari, New Mexico


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Gallup
April 11th 2007
Published: April 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Snowcapped mountains.....Snowcapped mountains.....Snowcapped mountains.....

......outside of Gallup, reminds me of home....grrrrr....
Yesterday was a long travel day but a very picturesque one along the way so it wasn't too boring. We ended up in Gallup, New Mexico which is known as a center of Native American Art and Culture ( my siblings would be warning me of kidnapping here). It is in the Navajo Reservation and Zuni lands. The area is also home to the red canyons and desert lands. Very beautiful.

We passed through Albuquerque which is the largest city in New Mexico and straddles the Rio Grande. The traffic going west was very heavy!! Glad we were not going in that direction. As we passed through, it was cloudy and there was a fog coming down over the Sandia Mountains which surround the city. Some thirty or so miles outside of Albuquerque, the land became a bit flatter and more green as pine trees and awakening fields waiting to turn green appeared. The weather continues to be gloomy and grey but there are a few patches of blue with the sun threatening to break through with some brightness.

We arrived at the local KOA at around 5 pm and it was cool and breezy! But we took a brisk walk anyway just to stretch after a long day in the truck. We went to bed early and got up and headed out toward Amarillo.

Our goal was Amarillo, Texas on Thursday but we decided to stop before that as we had heard weather reports of bad weather so we stopped in Tecumcari, New Mexico. We are now staying at the Mountain Road RV park just off I-40. The weather did get really bad so we decided to spend the day here in Tecumcari. We figured we must be jinxed by Tucumcari as we had snow here on our trip out this way! We are hoping that by tomorrow the bad stuff will be out of our way and we can go on! It was a good day to relax for Mike especially! I cleaned up some of the risidual sand and dirt (from Mexico....it actually came inside the rv through the nooks and grannies) from cupboards and generally prepared the RV for coming home.

Snow, wind and rain................grrrrr....


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Red canyons Red canyons
Red canyons

Outside of Gallup, NM


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb