Diamond in the Desert


Advertisement
Published: April 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Camp viewCamp viewCamp view

This panorama continues
As Shannon said, we got pushed a little further south due to chilly mornings and impending cold rain and possibly snow. Turned out for the best. We searched the map for lakes in New Mexico so the dog can cool down, there's not many lakes and many seem to be man made via dammed rivers. We made our way West from Tucumcari to Albuquerque then picked up Interstate-25 South to the City of Elephant Butte (just to our south and we did visit for shopping reasons is the City of Truth or Consequences.....im on my best behavior telling nothing but the truth....)

Anywho, we're in Elephant Butte State Park, initial thought was to spend a day possibly a night here and carry on. Once we pulled in we paid for a $10 camping spot on a ridge overlooking the lake/resevoir. Immediately we were giddy with the sights, the panorama is stunning, the lake outstretched below us with tall 10,000 ft peaks in the background. As we proceeded to set up camp the kiddish giggling continued. We have a ridiculous 'camp'. The New Mexican campgrounds that we've been to all have these Adobe style structures at each camp site. Three sided with a roof, they provide shelter from the direct sun. We placed the tent under the structure and the 'kitchen' on the edge overlooking the lake. Next thing i did was ride up to the the park entry station and paid for two more nights, this is the spot! Weather forecast is 75-85 daily and nights in the 55 range, perfect.

Camp set-up continued, we have everything we could ever need. As you'll see in the pictures....our tent inside is like a bedroom, Kona takes up half of it. Our 'kitchen' is complete with full stove, cabinet space, two coolers, trash can and a picnic table covered by a table cloth. Lawn chairs overlooking the ridge. Trailer backed up right to us its like having a small garage. Its silly.

Once camp was up to par, we spent the remaining afternoon reading, Shannon knitting, walks along the edge of the lake with Kona swimming and chasing stick. I took the road bike out for the second time, rode out of the park and took two rights.....stayed along one road and rode into no-where-land. It was kind of crazy, desert like setting and plant life, dry dry dry, i
Adios beardAdios beardAdios beard

Shaving for the first time in about 10 days, the scruffy beard look just isnt for me (or Shannon)
never dripped a drop of sweat it just evaporates in the dry air. I got passed by maybe two cars on that road....curvy road with rolling hills, mountains in the background, no-one-around....nothing around, silence, dead silence (often hard to come by). About a two hour ride ~35 miles. Once returned we went back to the waters edge and tickled with the idea of a swim, the water still quite cold. Eventually i was persuaded to jump in and chase Kona to her next stick, she did a double take when she saw me running in next to her ( i beat her to the stick for the record). The water cold but refreshing...the kind that reminds you you're alive.

Back at camp i hung the solar shower up, a black heavy duty plastic bag of sorts with a gravity fed spout. We filled it with water when we got to camp and its been sitting in the sun for several hours....that was our hot shower, worked well. With the water that remained we basically had a warm water faucet to clean vegetables and dishes with, resourceful.

This AM was reading on the ridge, breakfast and a long walk
MustacheMustacheMustache

I scared her by only leaving the mustache...hey were in New Mexico. (Needless to say its gone also..)
along the lake with Kona, Shan just headed out to town on her bike to check out some bakery and thrift stores.

Peaceful, very few and quiet neighbors, calm ; )

Enjoy the pics

JP



As i was uploading pics a large hawk flew by with something in his talons and landed on a big branch about 100 yards away. I whipped out the binoculars (thanks J-O-A-N-I) and took a look, Mr Hawk caught himself a fish and he proceeded to rip it apart and eat it, i watched most of it, does that make me gross or just interested in nature...

Good bye for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

BedroomBedroom
Bedroom

Shannon swears she did not plan for everything to coordinate....
Whats for dinna'Whats for dinna'
Whats for dinna'

My cook station with a view. I just shake my head.


9th April 2013

Amigos
Hey my Amigos, Looks like quite a great set up there in Elephant Butte. Wonderful view to cook by & sip your evening cocktail. "Almost" looks like something I could do, so comfy & color coordinated, but where's the toilet ??? That is one of my creature comforts ! I'd have dad add on a potty to back of trailer ! Love all the pictures. Be safe my children ! Miss you but very happy you followed this dream of yours.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb