DXB - IAD - DEN - ABQ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Albuquerque
November 20th 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.0841, -106.649

We have been up for over 48 hours with only a little sleep on the plane. We woke up about 6:30 a.m. yesterday in Dubai, and it was 9:30 p.m. here before we got home. The last meal we had was about 10:30 a.m. in D.C. That was 12-13 hours ago. Both meals served on the plane out of Dubai were inedible. I am usually not too picky about the food with low expectations for airplane food, but this was not worth having. Only ate the bread that came with the meal. They did have packets of crackers and cheese available for snacking at any time.

The first flight was originally shown as 14.5 hours, but it turned into a 16+-hour flight since the pilot altered the flight path to avoid flying over Iraq, Syria and Turkey. We took a path north out of Dubai going over Iran.

We had a six-hour layover in D.C. so it was not a problem to arrive late. (That wasn't what I had originally booked, but the flight that I had booked with three-hour layovers in D.C. and Denver was cancelled.) It turned out that the plane had mechanical problems so we ended up
leaving about 2.5 hours late after they found another plane for the flight. That meant that we would miss our last flight of the trip out of Denver, since we had only a one-hour layover there. The agent in the United Club rebooked us on a later flight which was scheduled to arrive in ABQ shortly after 8:00 p.m. When we finally got to Denver, it was snowing a little bit. It did not stop the planes, but we did have to wait for de-icing to finish which put us a bit late leaving. One of our checked bags did not make it with us, but the agent could tell me that the bag was still in Denver and would be delivered to us the next morning.

Fortunately, most everyone on the plane (at least, the ones I ran into) took the delay in stride. There was one very grumpy lady who got on the original plane to sit in front of me and who griped and griped about paying extra for the seats. She had paid for a little bit more leg room, but she seemed to think that entitled her to the princess treatment. She did not board the replacement plane.

It's hard to end on a sour note with the flight problem and delayed luggage. However, I still want to remember my favorite things from the trip. In no particular order:

-- American Colony Hotel
-- Visiting six countries for the first time
-- Indian man cleaning the restroom in Muscat
-- Five days in a row at sea
-- Munich Greeter, Brigitte
-- Spirited nun at Monastery Kera
-- Jerusalem tour
-- Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque
-- Openness of guides in Oman
-- Making new friends with other passengers
-- Petra!!!

This cruise line is different from most of the others we have been on. With a maximum capacity of 450 passengers, it does not offer all the little extras that the bigger ships have, but it can offer more personalized service in many ways.

-- There were no ship photographers trying to get you to stop for a photo shoot at each port and in the public rooms on formal nights.
-- There were no children on this cruise. The line does allow children, but they do not offer any programs for them so it is unusual for children to be along. This trip being 18 nights during the school year may have been part of the reason, too.
-- There was no 24-hour buffet. Room service was always available.
-- Passengers are called by name by the crew members. The cruise line expects the employees who work with the passengers directly to learn most everyone's name and use it when addressing them. It was very unusual for us to enter the dining room and not be addressed by name. Often in other areas of the ship, too, we would be greeted by name, whether in passing or if we were meaning to talk to the person involved.
-- Dining is always when, where, and with whom you want to sit. When entering the dining room, they always show you to a table, just like in most any restaurant. The person taking you to the table offers an arm which you are expected to hold as you walk together to the table. Women were always escorted this way, and sometimes men were, too. It seemed a little silly at first. On the third (I think) evening, the ride was a little rocky and I was glad to have that arm to hang on to. By the end of the cruise, it just seemed like a fun tradition.
-- One evening early in the cruise, they had a block party just before the dinner hour. They asked everyone to come out of their suites into the hall to meet the neighbors. I really like that idea. The room stewardesses were serving drinks and canapes and people were mingling. When we first went outside for the party, none of our immediate neighbors were out and about. We did go back to our suite fairly soon before the party was over. Our next door neighbor, Marilynn, knocked on the door a couple minutes later. I think the stewardess told her that we had been out looking for them, but went in early.
-- Most everything is included in the price of the cruise. Shore excursions and a few odds and ends were our only added expenses. Since I had paid for the shore excursions in advance, and since they had overestimated the port charges giving us a refund at the end of the cruise, we actually ended up with a credit. What a nice surprise.

We had a great time and will plan another trip on Seabourn as soon as we can.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb