Sunday Launch and to Colorado Springs


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Albuquerque
October 9th 2011
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday morning launchSunday morning launchSunday morning launch

I watched the Sunday Morning launch from the bridge below the RV section of the parking lot for the Sandia Casino.
Sunday Oct 9 and Monday Oct 10,2011
I watched the morning events at the balloon fest from the parking lot of the Sandia Casino and a convenience store nearby while getting gas. Then drove up to a rest area south of Santa Fe and took a nap to make up for getting up so early. I then drove through Santa Fe and on the low road to Taos and then eastward towards Raton. The mountains and stopping to look at things slowed me down and I didn't make it as far as I wanted and ended up overnight parking in the mountains in the Carson National Forest just west of Angel Fire, New Mexico. I overnight parked at the Elliot Barker Trailhead parking lot West of Angel fire on BLM land. Free of course.
It got down to about 25 degrees, a little brisk. But with my sleeping bag and another blanket on top of that it was just fine.
Monday Oct 10, 2011
This morning I woke up about 04:30 and got up about 0500. It was about 25 degrees. I drove slowly down the switchbacks towards Angel Fire looking out for elk crossing the road or ice on the
road. I came across several large elk grazing next to the road but luckily they stayed off the road. Futher down the road a mule deer walked across the road in front of me and I had to come to a complete stop to keep from hitting him. I then drove into Angel Fire and looked around and then up through Eagles Nest and around the lake and then through a canyon and across some desert to Raton. After stopping in Raton a bit to eat breakfast and send out an email I drove over the pass and kept going except for pit stops till I got to Colorado Springs. I went by MacDonalds to research a place to stay and ended up booking a couple of nights in the Travelodge in Colorado Springs. So I will stay here 2 to 3 days and look around and hopefully catch up on things a bit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sange de Christo MountainsSange de Christo Mountains
Sange de Christo Mountains

Another range to cross on the way to Raton
Mule DeerMule Deer
Mule Deer

This mule deer just walked across the road in front of me and I had to stop completely to keep from hitting him.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb